SVS vs REL and experiences with both: your comments and preferences...

I’ve owned SVS and now own REL but just wondering who has had both and would care to share your experiences between the two. They seem to both have great advertising but a much different approach to it . Customer service is top notch too.  They both to me seem to have tons of reviews and getting awards......Thoughts.....
128x128bacardi

I replaced my JL Audio E-112 (2), with a pair of REL S/510, due integration issues. I was running my speakers full range with the subs working underneath, altho the subs sounded very good on some material I just could not eliminate some bass boom and hum. At times I thought it just might be the individual tracks. So I decided to get the REL.s, and the integration, for me, is much better, after getting the subs setup, I no longer have bass issues.

Maxboy00, I just looked at the photos in your system page. The REL S510s look great. May I ask if you have compared the dual REL S510s with SVS SB-3000 before going with the former.

The REL specifically the S510 is high in my shortlist based on its aesthetics and high build quality. I can imagine the high gloss black finish and silver cone to match the main speakers in my system. Other subs look slightly cheap and less elegant although sound quality may be stellar. Apart from sound quality, looks do matter in my book.

The only thing I don’t like about the REL is the price. One S510 can get me two units of SVS SB-3000.

It’s just my opinion, but if I wanted a subwoofer for HT only, I would select SVS over every subwoofer I’ve owned due to price versus performance. If price wasn’t a consideration and it was for HT only, I would purchase JL Audio. For 2-channel only I prefer my REL G1 MKII over every subwoofer I’ve ever owned. It isn’t just about bass, but no other subwoofer has improved everything across the audio spectrum like REL. There’s more detail, air, and spacing between instruments when my subwoofers are engaged.

Ricred1, this is useful. Similarly I have read few experiences on the higher end RELs which include the No. 25 improving on the soundstage in the music. With the sub switched off, the soundstage was said to have collapsed. Improvement in the bass may not necessarily be limited to deep bass.

I spent a lot of time investigating the REL S serie specifically the S510 and the SVS equivalent which is the SB-3000. I have more or less decided that the S510 is the one but read few comments about the cheaper SB-3000 "outperforming" the REL.

There are few comparisons between the REL S510 and SB-3000 on this forum and avforums. The remarks about the differences between the REL and SVS have been quite consistent. The SB-3000 was said to go lower, has a tighter and more grippy bass and stops in a dime. The REL was said to sound looser and less grippy and didn’t go very low. Some of the traits with the REL may have contributed to the aspects of musicality and soundstage.

@ryder, Thanks for the kind comment. 

I looked long and hard at SVS SB-3000 subs, I read many reviews and peoples comments about them and determined that SVS was a better fit for H.T. This is strictly my view. 

The most common complaints about  the RELs are no numbers on the X-over and volume settings.....completely agree.....have to count the clicks. The other being no variable phase, I thought this would be an issue,  since both JL and Rythmic offer it but so far no complaints. 

For me, the REL's were very easy to set-up and to get Intergrated with my mains, took about three days. 

Lastly,  all of my past subs have been 12in, I wasn't sure I wanted  the S/510s, I contacted REL tech support and they told me the S/510 would be more than enough....as did my dealer.  So far quite happy with the end results.

Best of luck in your search. 

Maxboy00, thanks for the response which is appreciated. That's it. It would be the REL. A friend who is the hifi industry also advised that REL is a safer bet than the SVS.  Similarly I wrote to REL support but my story was a little different.  I was hoping they would endorse the T9x I was looking at but the tech advised that the model is not good enough for my speakers. The S510 and S812 were recommended instead.

I too think that SVS will be better for Home Theater while the REL is more appropriate for music. It's good to hear that the S510s integrate well with the main speakers in your system.