Almost equality

Through much trial and error, and with help from this forum, I’ve finally got a digital system that compares to my analog setup.  I never thought it possible, and I know there are those who say it’s impossible. And, of course, I’m comparing my unique systems to each other. YMMV.

My digital setup includes a Cambridge streamer  with Qobuz and Idagio, a Cyrus transport and a Benchmark DAC . This all feeds into a re-capped vintage Conrad Johnson preamp (PV 11) and a Benchmark amplifier. 
‘The analogue setup includes a heavily modified Rega RP3 turntable with two power units, and Clearaudio Virtuoso cartridge.

I’m really happy with the sound of both digital and analog for the first time, with analog having the slight edge.

128x128rvpiano

@p05129 

I agree with you on benchmark DAC’s but OP is also using a Benchmark amp, maybe there is a ‘synergy’ in grand scheme of things :-) 

The Benchmark DAC is anything but harsh. Both the Benchmark DAC and amp are extremely tonally accurate.  Coupled with a tubed Conrad-Johnson preamp the sound is very sweet yet finely detailed. 
As a classical musician, I know what real music sounds like, and that’s what I’m hearing with my set.

It has been a while since I sat down and listened to an analogue system.  Last time was at the RMAF.  Jim Salk had a pair of Song3 Encores hooked up to a pair of tube Monoblock's.  The sound was warm.  I wonder if you lose the crips highs using a tube amp?  I would imagine digital came out to replace the maintenance of tubes, but did it also generate crisper sounding highs such as cymbals?  

@rvpiano my streaming transition was very similar.  Your credentials as a classical musician is further endorsement that what we're hearing is indeed consistent with the natural sounds of real instruments.  How does the sound compare between your transport and your streamer?

stevewharton,

Good question.
The transport and streaming sound virtually the same, with maybe sometimes a slightly better definition with the transport. But it’s very close on most tracks.