Choosing the right SUT for my setup

I’ve decided to add a SUT to my setup. My MC carts are a Denon 103R (14 ohms/0.25mV) and an Audio Technica AT-OC9XSL (12 ohms/.4mV). I’m trying to decide between two used SUTs: the Denon AU-300LC and the Denon AU-320, both having a 1:10 ratio. Would loading ideal gain for the 103R and the OC9 be best achieved thru a using a calculator and installing a resistor that can be switched for carts or testing with a trimpot then installing resistor? I’ve also seen writeups where the OC9 is put on a 1:12 SUT and 1:20 for the 103R; from the boards experience is that pushing overload, or its in a good spot?

jctyler

Forget about the loading - focus on gain required.

1:10 Transformer should see 470ohms at the cartridge which is fine for either cartridge.

If your phono has reasonable gain then 1:10 should be enough.

Spend the extra and get an AU340 if you can - its much better than the AU301/320.

@jctyler Selecting the ideal ratio ?:??, is one part of the selection ratio.

SUT's have a sonic signature, I have been demonstrated quite a few models and own a few models as well.

A range from delivering a very rich, Bass Dominant through to a Hue of Rich, with a balance across the frequency range is to presented from different models.

A Head Amp is the Antithesis of the SUT, the models I have been demonstrated and compared to a SUT are Transparent as a comparison, and can be anchored to a certain range of the frequency where it is perceived as being noticeably present, or alternatively balanced across the frequency range.

It is best to learn which areas of the Cart's frequency range is wanted to be exploited or contained.

A 103r with increased richness presented through a SUT with this sonic trait, might create excessive Bass Bloom, if used through a Cabinet Speaker of a Vintage Design.       

I've never understood why someone would choose a SUT except as a temporary solution when going to LOMC from MM. I did this when I first started using LOMC. It would seem that the compromise is more than the benefit. You will have a n extra component and extra cable in the chain. Then there is the sonic signature and questionable loading. The biggest benefit is the cost which can be cheaper than a good phono preamp with enough gain for the LOMC. But even this is not set in stone. I remember the Bent SUT was around $1k some 15 yrs ago..

Considering that I don't know everything, I would be grateful for someone to tell me why I am wrong. Thanks

@artemus_5 , You are not wrong at all. I agree totally. One is much better off getting a proper MC phono stage. If you have to do a transformer it is best to install it into the phono stage or preamp. Sowter make beautiful little naked transformers for specific cartridge impedances. Installing them is a breeze. But, you are still better of with a proper MC unit.