Balanced Line Stage Tube Preamps

A recent balanced tube preamp shopper asked for opinions on Rogue vs ARC, ending up with a strong verdict for the Cary -05. Just wondering where the PrimaLuna EVO 400 might fit in this discussion. Functionality is pretty much identical across the board for all: 2 XLRs, 3 RCAs in, and both out. I don't need Cary's headphone section but do really need a remote. Question is all about the sonics. Fellow tube sound fans say Rogue is too dry and clinical. But what about PL? I wouldn't expect it to match Cary or ARC (or C-J) in an ideal room, but is it more tube-y than Rogue? (I do need 2 XLR and 3 RCA, so less versatile candidates need not apply).

hickamore

@atmasphere Will set check for AES compliance & hope to find within my b@twoleftears Never heard of it, glad to know there are several candidates. @soix  now ready to move up from SCHIIT Freya+, my first tube pre since analog-only days. Pretty sweet with the right tubes, but having heard the good stuff, just a question of what I can justify,

The EAR-Yoshino 868L, designed by tube expert Tim de Paravicini. Two unbalanced outputs on RCA’s, two balanced (AES48 complaint---Paravicini did a lot of work in pro studios, including Pink Floyd’s London facility, as well as the MoFi mastering chain) on XLR’s via TdP’s renown transformers. The 868 will drive multiple 600 ohm loads; try that with your ARC pre-amp ;-) .

For some not-so-mysterious reason, follow-the-leader audiophile sheep ignore EAR-Yoshino. Not Art Dudley, who lusted after the 912 pre-amp, the 868’s big brother.

Aesthetix Calypso is a tried and true design that has held its own for over a decade now.  

Fo most people the End to preamp searches usually ends with the MP-1 Fully Loaded Atma-Sphere.