Balanced Line Stage Tube Preamps

A recent balanced tube preamp shopper asked for opinions on Rogue vs ARC, ending up with a strong verdict for the Cary -05. Just wondering where the PrimaLuna EVO 400 might fit in this discussion. Functionality is pretty much identical across the board for all: 2 XLRs, 3 RCAs in, and both out. I don't need Cary's headphone section but do really need a remote. Question is all about the sonics. Fellow tube sound fans say Rogue is too dry and clinical. But what about PL? I wouldn't expect it to match Cary or ARC (or C-J) in an ideal room, but is it more tube-y than Rogue? (I do need 2 XLR and 3 RCA, so less versatile candidates need not apply).

hickamore

I would avoid it for the use of 6 (six!!) 12AU7’s alone. 6SN7 is a better sounding tube. I would however expect it to sound more "tubey" than the Rogue RP7, because of the latter’s MOSFET output stage.

The older Rogue high-end 6H30 preamps Athena and Hera shouldn’t be ignored if you want a change from your RP series Rogue. Those were all-tube designs, had a far sweeter sound IMO, and the only downsides were the clunky remote volume control and too much gain on the Hera II (Athena and Hera I had normal gain levels). They’re usually hugely discounted from MSRP when they show up on used markets now. I still keep an Athena for backup because I like it, and I have an ARC Ref 6 and VAC Master here too.

Look for a used Zesto Leto Ultra.    Awesome gear.  I have the original Leto and love it.   It has everything you are looking for and more 

2 transformer coupled XLR inputs and outputs. 3 RCA in and Two RCA out.