Can a DAC sort out a flat\cold amp?

My pc is connected to an external sound card (scarlett 2i4 by focusrite). I bought the Yamaha a-s1200 & am really disappointed at the brightness & the lack of bass to the extend I prefer listening to my portable JBL boombox. I'm in no position to sell or trade this amplifier so I thought a DAC with eq may help the predicament. Since auditioning my equipment is not an option in my country I have no choice but to buy something purely on recommendations. I also thought about replacing the speakers but since I listen to soundcloud & youtube i really think upscaling & eq will be much more cost effective option in sorting out this issue & may give me the confidence to try a much more expensive speaker option. what would you recommend?

128x128orenm145

I doubt it is the amp. I would recommend a separate streamer… Bluesound sell budget streamers that are very well regarded and sounds like it would be in your budget.

I have never had luck treating symptoms (equalizer). I recommend going for the source of the problem. You can clean up multiple problems at once. PCs are very noisy and transmit that through the signal chain. A purpose built streamer avoids all of this. I tried all kinds of PC, Mac, laptop solutions and didn’t really get anywhere until I bought a streamer.

Get rid of the Scarlett and get a proper USB DAC like a RME ADI2.

Someone asked you to name your speakers and you didn’t tell. Is this a secret?

Without more info like speakers and pics of your room it is all guesswork and a waste of everyone’s time.

If the boombox sounds better, there are much greater problems here than the Yamaha.  The Yamaha is showing you the problems elsewhere.

Not to insult the OP @orenm145, but are you 100% sure that both speakers are the same phase? It sounds like your woofers are out of phase. What you describe is not an amp unless it is broken.

I would swap the wires from + / - on one set of speakers to be absolutely certain.

Since you insist here's an Image of the setup. I was hoping to avoid that 😱 because as you can see this is a pretty unaesthetic room with all those cables.

the speakers are Dali concept 6 which are due for an upgrade but was postponed because of the lack of bass issue which I want to resolve first before continue to upgrade. I was thinking to get monitor audio silver 500 7g at first but in light of this amp performance I think I'll have to settle for bookshelf.

now I'm thinking that if this amp did not upgrade the sound of my old dalis may be it's not a good idea to build the new system around it. there are a lot of compromises here. right now the upgrade path will likely be a DAC & then i had my eyes on the buchardt s400 mk2. the amp will have to go at some point & i still regret buying it over the m5si\m6si but that's water under the bridge.