Linlai E 6sn7 tubes

I just placed an order for a pair of these for my Aric Audio Motherlode II.  I’ve been chatting with a fellow that runs the E 6sn7 in his Don Sachs pre. He loves them, He says they make his NOS tubes sound thin and lifeless.  
    It will be a couple weeks until I receive them,and I was curious if anyone out in Agon land has tried these,and what are your impressions?   
Thanks in advance,

Ray

128x128rocray

@bugredmachine a buddy of mine has a preamp that reacts in an odd way to gain of different tubes, so it will be interesting for @danmar123 to test for you. Dan, what preamp do you have, same or different than what bugred has?

Sorry cleaning didn't work @bugredmachine .  Will be interesting to see what @danmar123 finds. Wonder what can go wrong in a tube to make it so noisey? 

Thanks,

aldnorab

@bugredmachine does your line stage preamp have R/L Gain adjustment knobs on the front?

IF so, what happens to the hiss if you back off from 5’oclock to 12’oclock position, etc. Does the level of hiss stay the same as you now turn up the main volume control on the line stage. I was not able to find db gain on that Linlai tube pair, or if its over 20db. A quick test.. 

Why? ... doing some light reading on gain of various N7 and L7 tubes, preamps, and amps with higher input sensitivity. No real finds, just curious.Wondering if that particular pair of tubes experiencing hiss in the overall system may benefit some by backing off on R/L gain at the amplifier or preamp. Easy to try real quick if you have gain adjustment on the line stage.