Esoteric X-01 D2

Folks,
Hoping for some more information on this player in terms of strengths, weaknesses, likes or dislikes. Of course, associated equipment would be appreciated with those preferences.

Have great day all,
Peter
mariasplunge
I like this thread so here are some more thoughts:

I am not usually a tweaker but might consider some trial and error with isolation. My equipment is in an Arcici rack and the whole system is so dead quiet that I can hear the studio resonance and some A/C system rumble on certain recordings.

The best thing about the Esoteric D2 is its ability to make listening at moderate or lower volume as pleasureable as when I can listen loudly. This makes it possible to me to enjoy music far into the night when others are sleeping

I also just added a new BAT 52se preamp into the system and that is sounding like big upgrade on my Pass x-1 (which always sounded good to me).

The most remarkable thing about the Esoteric is that so many recordings now sound different from one another--what I was trying to say about the unit not having its own sound. And these are recordings that I know well for many, many years. When you add in the multiple DAC units it really gives the ability to fine tune source material. The differences in the way the DAC units sound are most noticeable on vocals; not only in the sound quality of the vocals but also in the perspective (for example in opera recordings) where one can hear the voice sitting into or in front of the orchestra or band.

I am running Purist Audio Venustas IC cables and a Shunyata power cord. These were in my system before and I am going to keep it at that for the forseeable future.

I too bought it without an in-home audition (in fact any audition at all) but I do trust the dealer I work with and his recommendations have been right on about equipment in the past (great prices too). I would be happy to communicate privately with anyone for the recommendation.

next up: new speakers. but right now the system sounds gorgeous. And I feel that I have at least a year or more of just listening to all my CDs and about fifty unopened SACDs before I get any more upgrade vibes.
Huntermusic,
Great minireview! I too require times when I must listen at lower to moderate volumes because my house travels sound very well especailly through the ducts. So that is great news Hunter. When i first got into audio I was told that one judgement of a good system is that even at lower volume levels, one should still be involved and invited into the music coming from the system. Again good to hear.

I have not heard of this rack you speak of. Right now I have made contact with SRA about their craz rack and the price they quoted me for the design I desire was a lot. I understand their built quality is exceptional so I may still consider it but ir is quite a stretch for me right now. I'll have to sheck into the rack you have.

By the way, nice system!!

I am planning on running the payer with Stealth Metacarbons, balanced but not into a truly balanced pre. I did hear this player sounds best with a truly balanced pre but right now, since I just bought a new pre it might be quite some time before I look at another. So would you say hunter you prefer the sound of the Esoteric with your tubed Bat over your SS Pass X-1?

Thanks for your input Hunter

Regards,
Peter
Well for what it's worth I too have an X-01 D2 coming after the EMM "one box wonder", the ARC Ref07 and a DCS P8i. In my mind the Esoteric is on a much higher playing field than the other three. It takes a bit of time to break in but then the resolution coupled with a highly musical presentation is very satisfying.I very much doubt that redbook can go much furthur but who knows. I thought the EMM to be much better than the ARC and DCS but not as clean and refined as the Esoteric. Frankly the ARC is grossly overrated to me and is best suited to systems that are bright or overly detailed because you're going to miss the high end detail provided by the EMM or the Esoteric in a well balanced system IMO. However also in my humble opinion the EMM player's ergonomics and build are shameful at the price and the company is goofy. The Esoteric people are helpful and friendly which is nice in audio these days. A very good one box player!
would suggest you check out my review of the XO1-D2 on dagogo.com, but i also have the EMM in. granted, its only 12hrs on it, so prelim impressions are just that (and i'll write a formal review on dagogo in which i compare the two). very quickly, the XO1 has a more firm foundation and better dynamics, not to mention build quality that isn't just 50% better, but 500% better. that said, the EMM doesn't sound like digital...its more resolving (the most resolving digital i've heard), eminently musical, and is nigh on the sweetest player i've heard (doing wonders for bad recordings).

quick thought: if you've undynamic speakers (planars / stats), i'd go w/ the Xo1. if i had horns, i'd go w/ the EMM. beyond that, its personal preference.

ultimately, you cannot go wrong with either. and any personal preference i may have (which i don't at present) is not necessarily yours. suggest you hear both---they sound similar, but the differences b/w the two might be meaningful to you.
to Mariasplunge:

I know it is considered "wrong" to change out multiple pieces of equipment at the same time but I had just gotten the new Krell EVO402 which was a very, very big upgrade over my Krell 400cx, the sound of which I knew very well.

I was eager to try something in the tube preamp area and was shopping for a ARC Ref3 preamp. The dealer I have used in the past had a ARC Ref3 that he had taken in trade and I was ready to jump but he said that he had just A/B tested the Ref3 against the BAT 52se and told me that it was clear that the BAT was superior. His ears had jibed with mine in the past and so the deal was done. It sounds great. who knows I may wind up with tubes all around someday. I have to say there is a resolution to the tubes where there is not only more detail but more "more" if you know what i mean. I hear woodiness on woodwinds, I hear more bell on the brass instruments. I hear different timbres from the same players on a record when they change their tone and dynamics. On vocals I hear more parts of the voice, the chest voice, head tone, throat chamber and I hear them in a way that is coherent and beautiful.

So now I am a BAT fan and firmly in the Esoteric D2 camp. I think with these two pieces of equipment there are very, very small (if any) further sonic upgrades to be had without a too huge investment on my part.

all in all I am even more amazed that the JM Lab Mini-Utopias I use (with a Utopia Sub) keep sounding better and better.

The whole bug for an system upgrade started when I was eager to move to the VTL S400 tube amp but no one would care to make a home audition possible, under any terms. Pretty strange for the price I thought. So I auditioned the Krell at home for a couple of weeks and it sounded great, so then I just went crazy and started making the wholesale changes. But right now I am typing this while I listen to the Mozart Gran Partita on a magical performance by Otto Klemperer (on a long ago out of print CD) and it is taking me to that special place. The whole family is out at the pool, the house is dead quiet, the dogs are asleep, the A/C is off and the music sounds incredible.