Balanced versus single ended

From my experience, every situation that had both options, the balanced connection and/or increased gain sounded better, regardless of the bolume knob’s final position. More detail , air, emotional connection etc. The single ended cables used were good, not the bargain or so called high end extreme.

Sometimes using balanced or xlr it involved just the source, but optimally it carried through thd entire chain.

Anyways, my question is: has anyone ever thought that single ended sounded better?given the 2 options. Im only referring to a truly balanced connection.

I ask, because a manufacturer who makes tube amps, recommends single over balanced connection. Is there something else involved in this decision, additional parts or labor complexity? Is the signal path extended?

Thanks in advance

recluse

As usual in situations like this, a middle ground is probably closed to the truth. Hence: "it depends." Robert Harley, in The Complete Guide to High-End Audio, concedes that, in certain circumstances, balanced connections may sound better, but that in other situations, they actually sound worse. I'll let him speak to this latter situation himself: "Say you have a disc player or DAC that take an unbalanced signal form the digital-to-analog converter chip and converts it to a balanced signal so that the DAC manufacturer can tout the product as having 'balanced outputs.' Inside the DAC, the unbalanced signal is converted to a balanced signal by a phase splitter. Phase splitting subjects the unbalanced signal to an additional active (transistor- or op-amp-based) stage and puts more circuitry in the signal path. The balanced DAC's output is then input to a balanced-input preamplifier. Because all but the very best balanced preamplifiers convert a balanced input signal to an unbalanced signal for the preamplifier's internal gain stages, the preamplifier's input converts this balanced signal to an unbalanced signal—adding yet another active stage to the signal path. After the unbalanced signal is amplified within the preamplifier, it is converted back to balanced with another phase splitter. The preamplifier's balanced output is then sent from the preamplifier output to the power amplifier's balanced input where it's—that's right—converted to unbalanced with yet another active stage. The result of these unbalanced/balanced/unbalanced/balanced/unbalanced conversions is additional electronics in the signal path—just what we don't want. This is why you can't assume that balanced components sound inherently better than unbalanced ones."

@ghdprentice  When I said the sound is bigger when using XLR,I do not mean the volumne, I mean the sound has bigger 3d space,more  spacious.

Do you love the spacious sound? I depend on the space you are listening.

More spacious more good for big space ,no good for small room.

A fully compliant AES 48 installation with good cables will always measure better than a non-balanced RCA installation. Regardless of line-length, noise rejection and other cable artefacts and earth separation will be better. In theory, it should sound better - in my experience it does.

I agree!

Mike

Good read see below:

https://www.ranecommercial.com/kb_article.php?article=2107

@runwell 

Thanks for the clarification. I guess this is where it comes down to what equipment you own. Mine does not sound bigger.