Best Phono Stage

Hi all,

I need some advise on a really good sounding phono stage to go with MC turntable set up in the $5k or so bracket. I am completely new to vinyl and realise there a lot here in terms of arm/cart matching MC,MM and I think moving iron but if you could point me in the direction of some good sounding units I can investigate compatibility etc. I don’t own a table or cart yet. I was looking at the Zesto Audio 1.2.

My goal is a liquid engaging sound with deep tight bass and air and separation on top.

Thanks in advance.

Sean

128x128lance23

Balanced Audio Technology (BAT) makes fabulous phono stage components.  The latest model, VK-P90 ($13,000) is on my radar for later this year.  That will complete my main electronics by matching with my other BAT components; preamp and power amp (and replacing my Manley Labs, Chinook phono stage).  The just-recently-discontinued models that the VK-P90 replaced is the VK-P12SE and the VK-P12.  Those can be found for a price range within reason of your budget.  Do a little research on BAT products regarding the build quality and the sound quality.  I believe you will find them to be a worthy consideration for what you are looking to achieve.  BAT is a very high-end manufacturer, right here in the USA.

Pleased to see the recommendations for the Zesto Andros.

Before I went with my Atma-Sphere MP-1 full function preamp, I almost bought a Zesto. Ever since I heard one at RMAF, I was sure that it was about the best phono stage ever. Beautiful, luscious tube sound. But also it would be good to find a used AR.

+7 Zesto for tube.

For solid state, the Coda 06x is my favorite under around $10k - $15k.

Finally, if you can find one, the Herron (hybrid( is excellent as is the Reference line stage.