laptop to analog, any suggestions?

I'm looking for a good way to hook my PC up to my stereo. The output on my laptop is a noisy 1/8" jack, so i was thinking maybe an external d/a converter. Do they work off of a USB connection to a computer, and how would i play MP3 files?

Thanks for your help,
Dan
dk89
You didn't state a price range, but if you're looking for something a little less expensive than the Benchmark, I use one of these:

Fubar II

I haven't compared it to other USB DACs, but it's a considerable improvement over the DAC in my iBook G4. Sound quality is much higher and noise floor is much lower.

Your computer will just see it as another sound output, so your MP3 software or anything else can use it.

David
Yeah, Fubar is around $120; Benchmark is closer to $1300. That probably is a better place to start. Might try one myself. This website is constantly inciting me to buy something I didn't know existed ;^)
I will offer yet another recommendation for the LinkSys Wireless Music Bridge (WMB54G). $80.95 + shipping (Office Depot). Connect to the laptop wirelessly (duh!) or using an Ethernet cable. You can then use the WMB's RCA out or its Coax Digital out if you have a Coax Digital in on your preamp.

This unit sounds great, is easy to setup, and is dirt-friggin'-cheap.

-RW-
Try unplugging the AC power supply to run on battery power. I experienced a substantial noise reduction and increased dynamics doing this. Another good and cheap USB solution is the Philips PSC805 Aurilium, which can be found on ebay for around $50. The Sound Agent software it comes with is good also.
Wow, i had no idea this could be done so cheaply, thanks alot guys. My price range is around $100 (I really thought it was a shot in the dark). I really don't need something for critical listening, that's what CD's are for. I'll give your suggestions a good look.