Wyred SX-1000 Mono’s or PS Audio S700 Mono’s?

Has anyone been able to compare these amps to one another? I want to stick with class D for efficiency, so I ruled out the Schit mono’s. Either has a lot more power than I need currently (groan), but this could change. Then there is the PS S300 stereo.

Room: 25 x 25

Currently: Cambridge Azure 840C (transport only); OPPO 105D; MHDT Orchid DAC; Rowland Synergy III preamp; Rowland Model 2 amp (class AB); Gallo Strada 2’s (might replace with 1.7i Maggies); Gallo TR-3D sub.

Music: Jazz, some blues, some rock, some classical.

markmuse

It seems Stradas are known to need the right amp specs to sound magical. Im strictly guessing here, with my own experience where I went through 5 different class D amps in ~1.5 years. Ric Schultz's EVS 1200 was a big upgrade from all the others, but when I got the LSA Voyager GaN 350, my system sounded significantly more real/natural

hth

The Schiit monos draw only 45 watts each at idle, plus they have that standby switch on the front. M700 amps draw 30 watts each, so only 15 watt difference at idle. Now the Schiit amps are not as efficient, so will draw more power as volume increases compared to the M700. The Benchmark amp is great, but only 100 watts unless you get 2 for mono operation. That will double the cost, but triple the power. The Benchmark amps also idle at very low power (about 20 watts).

I own a W4S ST-1000 MK2 and also had a ST-500.  I owned the PS Audio M700s briefly. 

They were in different systems, so I haven't compared them using the same speakers.  The M700s seem to be more dynamic while the W4S are a little smoother on top.  Over the long term the W4S might be a little easier to listen to. 

Having said that, I didn't really notice the little bit of an edge that the M700s have until I took them out of my system and put my Herron Audio M1's back in.  I didn't sell the M700s because I didn't like them, I bought them as backup while I had the M1's in the shop.  I was actually surprised at how good they were at their price and was tempted to keep them. 

I don't think you would go wrong either way.