How Electricity Actually Works

In November of last year I posted a Vertasium YT vid titled "The Big Misconception About Electricity".  Well it caused quite a stir and like an arachnid had many legs many of which attempted to draw A'gonrs into the poison fangs!

Well, here is the follow-up to that original vid which caused quite a stir in the "intellectual" community as well.

Vertasium "How Electricity Actually Works".

This does have implications for our audio cabling...

Regards,

barts 

128x128barts

@jea48

I skimmed it. What were you questioning?

@deludedaudiophile

I wasn’t questioning anything the educator had to say. I just wanted to see if you agreed....

@jea48 ,

I just skimmed. It all appears to be classical electrodynamics so nothing seemed out of order. I thought the way he approached the argument, i.e. arguing what is wrong with electrons moving was both effective, but at times convoluted due to the wording.

The problem in discussions like this and the audience is misuse and misunderstanding. The moving charges (electrons in this case) are still required for the magnetic field. There is more complexity than most of the energy is outside the wire. But even though most of the energy is outside the wire, does not mean for the use case, audio, specifically analog, that fancy dielectrics, special geometries, and other claimed design features are relevant. To be relevant, they need to be quantified, and then compared to the signal. A critical parameter is wavelength/distance. When this is a very large number, then connection systems can be modelled with simple parameters such as R,L, and C and related to C, dielectric absorption, though in most cases, low source or load impedances would make this irrelevant. Going up in frequency, skin effect is the next likely to be relevant. Shielding is relevant, but there is well understood practices to limit the effects of external fields.

@jea48 That's more like critique and expressing opinions instead of EE text book.

Post removed