How do you make a final decision on a DAC

Thank you all for helping me along the way. I've been trying to decide on a DAC for my 2 channel system. I listen to JUST R&R  60's, 70's, 80's more or less and stream from my windows based Pc Via Amazon HD (which I really enjoy)  loudly currently through my Benchmark DAC 3B, and my Audiolab 6000 Transport. Associated equipment:  Should be here this week after waiting 7 months, ATI amp, 6002, Benchmark Line amp LA-4, Tekton SE Double Impacts and an SVS sb 4000 sealed sub. Really enjoy.  A ceiling of 5K is somewhat available, # 1 choice is Denafrips Terminator 2, (a little nervous as once you order it's yours) Audio Mirror Tubadour 3 SE, Aqua La Voce 3.  Don't really want a preamp/Dac combo, just a DAC. Listen in a very large shop area with great acoustics. ( just by chance.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Pulling hair out at this point, what little there is.  Thanks as always    Robert TN   ps service is a big priority!!!!

robshaw

@robshaw hey Rob…curious what you end up with. I’m running DAC3 HGC. Prior to that I had Chord Qutest then Bryston BDA-3. The Bryston didn’t do it for me and after an extensive shootout the Benchmark won. That said, Chord really has a magic tone. If I was in a market for a $5k DAC I would seriously consider Chord Hugo TT2. 

For Rock and Roll....blues and jazz, the Denafrips / Tekton combo is balls to the wall. I like the R2R DACS...I think they are the most musical....Like others have said....order the Ares 2 for $800. If you like the R2R sound......you can sell the DAC and get a more expensive Denafrips unit. There is always a market for a used Denafrips. I like the fact that you can adjust "phase".....That one feature really changes the sound and open up a gigantic soundstage like a Live performance. Good Luck to you.

You can read lots of reviews, but you’re still going to be making guesses. Past a certain point it seems to be more about personal taste than anything else. Instead of going all in right away you might try a few different types at more entry prices first. With the used market it might not even cost you that much if you resell after trying them out. My comparisons gave me better insight into my own preferences. While that helped me to make decisions about other gear, it also convinced me to pause my DAC upgrade search. 

2nd @lordmelton would have my vote at that level or Holo Spring 3KTE

If you're thinking Terminator+... That's not a bad choice either from what 've heard.