How do you make a final decision on a DAC

Thank you all for helping me along the way. I've been trying to decide on a DAC for my 2 channel system. I listen to JUST R&R  60's, 70's, 80's more or less and stream from my windows based Pc Via Amazon HD (which I really enjoy)  loudly currently through my Benchmark DAC 3B, and my Audiolab 6000 Transport. Associated equipment:  Should be here this week after waiting 7 months, ATI amp, 6002, Benchmark Line amp LA-4, Tekton SE Double Impacts and an SVS sb 4000 sealed sub. Really enjoy.  A ceiling of 5K is somewhat available, # 1 choice is Denafrips Terminator 2, (a little nervous as once you order it's yours) Audio Mirror Tubadour 3 SE, Aqua La Voce 3.  Don't really want a preamp/Dac combo, just a DAC. Listen in a very large shop area with great acoustics. ( just by chance.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Pulling hair out at this point, what little there is.  Thanks as always    Robert TN   ps service is a big priority!!!!

robshaw

Fpga, and Ethernet based, are the only dacs to look at but probably out of your price range. The benchmark dacs are terrible sounding unless you want shrill/cold sounding gear. 

If it’s any help, I sent off a Denafrips Athena preamp to their service guy, Todd,  in Buda, Texas, and the experience was outstanding. Excellent communication, prompt attention to the issue, and lightning fast turn around. Based on my experience, I would highly recommend Denafrips.

I can highly recommend the Aqua Voce S3. It transformed my whole library. Totally awesome sound. I recently upgraded to the Aqua Voce Fomula DAC, only because one used came available through my dealer at about half the new price. It was still more than I thought I would ever spend but couldn’t help myself after having benefitted from the S3. My dealer has my S3 on consignment for $2,850, but there’s a delay in moving into their new building. If you decide on the S3, contact me if interested in a pre-owned unit (which was an S2 that I had sent back to Italy for the S3 upgrade. Whether interested in mine or not, this is the bomb! You’ll be delighted.

@robshaw hey Rob…curious what you end up with. I’m running DAC3 HGC. Prior to that I had Chord Qutest then Bryston BDA-3. The Bryston didn’t do it for me and after an extensive shootout the Benchmark won. That said, Chord really has a magic tone. If I was in a market for a $5k DAC I would seriously consider Chord Hugo TT2. 

For Rock and Roll....blues and jazz, the Denafrips / Tekton combo is balls to the wall. I like the R2R DACS...I think they are the most musical....Like others have said....order the Ares 2 for $800. If you like the R2R sound......you can sell the DAC and get a more expensive Denafrips unit. There is always a market for a used Denafrips. I like the fact that you can adjust "phase".....That one feature really changes the sound and open up a gigantic soundstage like a Live performance. Good Luck to you.