REL Subwoofer to match monitor speakers similar to Raidho X-1s?

Hi All:  I have Eben X-Streame monitor speakers, which were sort of the precursors to the Raidho X-1 monitor speakers as I understand it.  A local hi fi shop recommended a REL T9x sub, based on the size of my room and the speed of the sub.  My concern is that I've read in other places that the RELs work best with speakers that already produce a full range of frequencies, and I have to believe that these relatively small monitors don't -- even though they have absolutely gorgeous mid-range and highs.

Any thoughts or suggestions about this?  I'm looking for a clean sound, not a boomy AV sound.

Thanks!

Misha

mmmmisha

["the speed of the sub"] ?

Is this your first subwoofer?

You might want to ask your dealer where on the REL site does it give the subwoofer speed? 

Many modern subwoofers have the adjustability to better integrate with a wide variety of speakers than simply crossover and phase. Good luck with your search.  

Thanks to everyone for their input.  Obviously I have a lot to learn.  What I am most certainly NOT pleased about is that I've sent REL 3 emails and left one voice message and not gotten one response.  That in itself might be reason to look elsewhere.  @Artemus_5, good point.  The guy certainly steered me right with the other stuff, but they will only recommend what they sell.  @pingstonesmile, alas due to the WAF, there will have to be compromises made.

T9x would be great, maybe even the t7x.  I had a rel s2 sho and it was too large for the totem arros that I was trying to pair it with. The reason I say this is because the sub would go from too quiet to too loud with 1 click of the volume control.  

A pair is going to sound better too, so 2 T7x’s will be better than 1 T9x.

RELs are in deed “fast” which translates into being very articulate. I listen to a lot of music with low frequency information and I have not heard another sub that has the same articulation.  RELs are also a sub bass system so you are slightly correct eith your assumption.  From my experience, SVS subs that I have had, have more impact in the 60hz on up range.  

You could look at SVS, Rythmik, and Velodyne as well.

if your dealer has a T9x on hand ask if you can demo it!

Thanks @b_limo.  The good news is that I did hear back from REL finally.  Regarding matching with my speakers, part of the problem is I really cannot get any info on the Eben X-Streames in terms of their specs.  I just know they are like the Raidhos.  

I’m dubious about the need or benefit of multiple woofers, unless you need the floor to bounce, and like banging your head. I had a friend who’s method of evaluating a speaker was to turn the bass up to 11, and the volume up to twice that. He drove me to 11 when he pulled it on my setup.

I have an SVS SB-3000, now ain my multi-media room, and the REL, mentioned above, very recently acquired. SVS advises keeping the settings such that you can’t spatially locate the sub with your ears. I like that advice. Still, head-jarring volumes are possible if it’s your thing. The REL to my ears has a very desirable, more subtle quality about its bass by nature. I haven’t been able to replicate the "boom" with the REL. I’m ok with that.

You’ll have to experience both yourself, I’m not too sorry to say. Have fun, and Best Wishes.