How do you make a final decision on a DAC

Thank you all for helping me along the way. I've been trying to decide on a DAC for my 2 channel system. I listen to JUST R&R  60's, 70's, 80's more or less and stream from my windows based Pc Via Amazon HD (which I really enjoy)  loudly currently through my Benchmark DAC 3B, and my Audiolab 6000 Transport. Associated equipment:  Should be here this week after waiting 7 months, ATI amp, 6002, Benchmark Line amp LA-4, Tekton SE Double Impacts and an SVS sb 4000 sealed sub. Really enjoy.  A ceiling of 5K is somewhat available, # 1 choice is Denafrips Terminator 2, (a little nervous as once you order it's yours) Audio Mirror Tubadour 3 SE, Aqua La Voce 3.  Don't really want a preamp/Dac combo, just a DAC. Listen in a very large shop area with great acoustics. ( just by chance.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Pulling hair out at this point, what little there is.  Thanks as always    Robert TN   ps service is a big priority!!!!

robshaw

My take: there is no silver bullet playbook here. Either option can work with no assurance of success or disappointment.

(1) You get what you pay for in most circumstances- coughing up for a stand-alone DAC stsrting going north of $3K is where the differentiation starts to really matter in terms of audio digital performance satisfaction . But that is also with high regard that one has the worthy requisite finess and resolution in the accompanying system to warrant it.

(2) Build quality matters … full stop. Choose wisely, and ignore any temptation of the current low to mid tier marketing flow ads that a lowly or bottom price-point are Goliath killers that assure you all you want and expect. The only thing that goes with the flow are dead fish.

(3) OEM technical setup and problem support for DACS and digital players is hyper-critical. Far too many of both amp-DAC unibox units as well as stand-alone DAC options may really suck in support. They can leave the user trying to sort it out himself with big trouble, and feeling like a one-legged man in an ass-kicking contest and very frustrated.

(4) With reference to (2) above, try to audition at least some of your contenders and pretenders first. And strongly then consider buying pre-owned to save a lot.

Brand new “Latest “ brands and models is no assurance of a Yellow Brick Road to audio OZ Go check out how many of the current flavour of the day brand options now appear in the various forum FOR SALE LISTINGS after high expectations from new.

This is a journey of experimentation, experience, and rolled up sleeves rather than any fast destination. Forum member testimonials of certain brands and models may help, but intuitively they have a high measure of personal bias of performance that may or may not be symbiotic with your bespoke system

two points to you op

your benchmark is a very good dac, clean crisp and clear, if you want something that presents music differently, you should speak to that, and others may recommend options for changing...

btw, as you can tell, there are some shills here, shills gonna shill..

robshaw

First I am looking forward to the DIs. It will be hard to be objective with the speakers with all the hype that has been generated. Also I would agree with others here, you’ve got a great DAC. I mean you could try an r2r ladder DAC like the Denafrips Ares II to hear that flavor but I would think the Benchmark is every bit as good. Just my two cents..

FWIW, I recently switched to an Aqua La Scala. I wasn’t planning to spend more than $3-4k, but was able to audition it in my system, and was captivated.

I can’t be of much help in terms of comparisons, though I originally owned a Pontus II, and consider the Aqua to be a significant step up. The Terminator, which would be a more fair comparison, may be a different story, though.

From a technical standpoint, the modular design and upgrade potential is an attractive aspect of the Aqua.