everything sounded great until the upgrade

In short: I loved the sound of my modest system, until I upgraded my amp. Now it  sounds pretty horrible. It went from a warm sweet embracing easy-to-listen sound to knives and forks trying to escape from a bathtub.

So...

1. I can just unplug this new amp (used) and sell it

Any other options? I could upgrade my speakers but I have no budget for that.

2. I could sell the speakers and use money to buy used ones that go with the amp. 

3. Lastly I could change the source, but was it the culprit - to begin with?

btw - the sound of the "new" amp is decent with my turntable, and terrible with my CD player.

(If I wrote brands and models it would throw the discussion into "A sucks, B is great")

grislybutter

@grislybutter ....sounds like what my gear sounds like to me after I've been away for an extended period, exposed to all manner of audio trivia....*G*

Hang tough, get through a reasonable break-in, and then decide what and where to go with it.  New equipment can startle with the differences they exhibit.

Remember: Change is a b*tch. ;)

Here, chill...

Here to help, or at least, distract. ;)

Was great live....*G*

@grislybutter , *sigh* Down with that, too.  If it wasn't for my aids, I miss a lot.

Looking at a new pair of headcans, and thankful that eq is a way of life....

Mine, at least. *L*

One thing to double check when switching out gear is to make sure everything is in phase. I know that’s pretty basic like, “is it plugged in” but that’s the starting point. Make sure your connections didn’t get crossed.