I don't want to beat a dead horse but I'm bugged.

I just can't clear my head of this. I don't want to start a measurements vs listening war and I'd appreciate it if you guys don't, but I bought a Rogue Sphinx V3 as some of you may remember and have been enjoying it quite a bit. So, I head over to AVS and read Amir's review and he just rips it apart. But that's OK, measurements are measurements, that is not what bugs me. I learned in the early 70s that distortion numbers, etc, may not be that important to me. Then I read that he didn't even bother listening to the darn thing. That is what really bugs me. If something measures so poorly, wouldn't you want to correlate the measurements with what you hear? Do people still buy gear on measurements alone? I learned that can be a big mistake. I just don't get it, never have. Can anybody provide some insight to why some people are stuck on audio measurements? Help me package that so I can at least understand what they are thinking without dismissing them completely as a bunch of mislead sheep. 

128x128russ69

I think you answered your own question.

If a reviewer bases his/her opinion on only tech specs,-which is something you believe are not the end all- then why should you bother to consider his opinion?

There are plenty of people on the internet who seem to believe their opinions are valid. Only you can decide whether to take them seriously or not.

B

Some individuals need to understand or want to believe everything in existence can be understood purely in objective terms. I understand the desire, need and validity of objective inquiry, I don't understand entirely discounting the value of our human senses.

Thats like a restaurant critic looking at a plate and not tasting it.....   Some of my worst measuring gear sounds great, so who cares.   They literally don't care what it sounds like.  Measures bad?  Must be bad..   Measures great?  It's the best....

I have zero interest in ASR