How to choose a cartridge?

Aside from compliance, and whether one has enough gain and loading options, how does one choose a cartirdge?

There are a few shops that have one or two brands, and other shops that have other brands… etc.

It is a either visiting a lot of shops, or using some other method.

I have seen a few plots of response and 2nd, 3rd harmonics for a limited number of carts.

The other method is scouring the reviews and digest the colourful wording used to describe the carts.

As an example I am considering:

• SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC Star
  • AT ART9xi
  • Benz Micro LP S
  • Hana ML
  • and some others…

Does one just flip a coin?

128x128holmz

I should have specified the Ortofon model—they were SPU models that were quite warm, while the Anna and PW are quite the opposite.

I don’t know if they still offer the service, but vdH use to allow buyers to break in the cartridge then send it back to the factory with a report on what they want changed about the sound; the suspension would then be tuned to try to meet the customer’s specific preference (the service is included in the purchase price).

No substitute for listening.   But I have to say I have bought all my carts 'blind'.

I love the mix of man-spraining with honesty, and I totally agree.
(so it brought quite the smile to my face)

But, alas, I am generally sequestered in the middle of a desert.

I last upgraded from an AR Phono 2.  …

I upgraded from an AR PH2… which is likely about 30+ years old S/S MM stage.
It is not bad for what it is, and the upgrade is a better… just not like gates of heaven opening... better.

It is quite difficult to audition cartridges, particularly because they are in a system that is totally different from one's own.  I have a local dealer that will allow trusted customers to take home and try certain cartridges that are in the store, but that must be nerve-wracking for all concerned.  I think he even allowed someone to take home an ultra expensive Allaerte cartridge.  So, at best, one hears a cartridge or family of cartridges in familiar systems to get an idea about the sound; after that it is sort of a crap shoot and a matter of making other system adjustments to get the sound right.  

What is "right" might also depend on the music and one's mood.  The truly dedicated might actually swap cartridges or have multiple arms or tables.  I am not so dedicated to analogue, so I stick with one cartridge for a long time, even if I have two quite different sounding cartridges (Lyra Titan and Transfiguration Orpheus L). 

I think you have a very good analogue rig, so it certainly deserves a great cartridge.  At best I can only say I have heard, and liked cartridges from the following brands: Lyra, Dynavector, Audio Technica, Ortofon, Koetsu, Allaerte, and van den Hul.  

Know your tonearm mass to start.

Buy a few set up tools to help you dial in the cartridges. I cannot stress this enough. I've been doing his a while and am amazed by how much of a difference this makes with better cartridges.

Pick a any brand and compare carts within an affordable (to you) line.

Try the different stylus shapes: elliptical, microline, shibata etc.. Avoid conical unless it's the Denon 103.

Try to compare a couple of carts at a time to see what you like.

Enjoy the ride.

I started with Grado, then Ortofon, Denon and now playing with Audio Technica. I'm also just starting my ride.

@holmz  : " of all the measurements, channel separation is the one that likely has the most bearing on things. "

But you have to measures it  and today almost no single cartridge manufacturer gives ( as in the past ) a measures charts.

R.