Thiel Owners

Guys-

I just scored a sweet pair of CS 2.4SE loudspeakers. Anyone else currently or previously owned this model?
Owners of the CS 2.4 or CS 2.7 are free to chime in as well. Thiel are excellent w/ both tubed or solid-state gear!

Keep me posted & Happy Listening!
jafant

jafant - first a disclaimer. I have no real experience with the WATT or any other Wilson products, beyond interested observation. My connection is primarily one of curiosity. The WATT has been considered an audiophile reference from its beginning, and called such by JA in Stereophile. It turns up in very discriminating systems and spaces. My curiosity revolves primarily around what all of us at Thiel would hear from it and see in its measurements, which is a flawed design, a broken speaker (in its early iterations), from our point of view. The WATT/PUPPY illuminates by contrast how Thiel never really fit into the high end mindset. We required even-handed solutions to all identifiable aspects of performance and cost, whereas much of high end tolerates and even extols excellence in some areas regardless or at the expense of other aspects. 

The Wilson approach has certainly won the day. Most high end speakers would flunk Jim Thiel's first-pass analysis. They are plain wrong in many ways while being outstandingly good in some ways or other. But Thiel didn't engage in competitive analysis - at all. We had our hands full doing our own thing, independent of whatever 'the market' or 'the times' seemed to relate to.

David Wilson was a star. His audiophile recordings were extremely good. He with his soprano wife Cheryl moved in high circles. He had a ready audience and nearly demanded respect. On the contrary, at our first 1977 CES we came out with a lovely corner suite, and garnered a positive, encouraging response from many attendees; but there was no safety net. I remember an establishment industry person asking to general amusement why we were 'here'. 'Shouldn't you be barefoot and pregnant back home?' Kentucky wasn't seen as legitimate compared with the genesis of most aspiring companies. I'm not complaining, Thiel received solid, constant support and encouragement from the audio press along with pioneering dealers who wanted something different, what we wanted to provide. My point I guess is that if we had come from Kentucky with products that contained the design shortcomings of early Wilson products, we would have been summarily dismissed.

My comments are more general sociological observations than any particular analysis of any particular products. The marketplace is an ecosystem unto itself and companies make their ways however they can from wherever they begin. Wilson was a trail-blazer into a different sphere than where Thiel lived. We lived where we were comfortable, creating products we hoped would bring value to people with whom we identified.

And here we are. What a pleasure to be here.

The Wilson approach has certainly won the day

Could be argued their success is partly an artifact of their pricing. Here is Charles Hansen’s take on Fremer (and most of the audio press, by extension; from an audioasylum post):

a) The more expensive the product, the better it must be. 
b) Wilson loudspeakers are the best on the planet, presumably because they play really loud, have super spectacular bass thump created by the +10dB bump they all exhibit at 70Hz, and are ungodly expensive (see (a) above). 

@tomthiel thanks to you and Jim for bringing a superb level of performance at price points that most can afford!

Again, Charles Hansen from an audioasylum post:

The high-end wouldn't be where it is today without the contributions of Jim Thiel and Richard Vandersteen.

Charlie had it right. he used Vandy model 7 to wring out his designs and RV in turn ran MXR for years while developing his M7 amplifier… of course as a 7 and 7 owner, I am biased…

I share your bias @tomic601 

If I win the lottery, probably go straight to Vandy 7 and MX-Rs. Until then, very happy with my modded 2.4s and AX-5. IME, gotta spend a lot of money to shore up the few weaknesses of my system. In fact, the most cost effective fix would be to add Vandy Sub 3s which would shore up bass extension and definition. But not motivated to add two more large boxes to my living room.

@goldbehen - I’ll go so you don’t get left in the dust. It can pile up quickly here.

The 3.5s, like all Thiel speakers are designed to be wide-dispersion transducers. So their off-axis environment is more critical than many other designs. They should be well away from boundaries, particulars depending on your room size, proportions, materials, etc. If you don’t have the setup manual, it may be online, or specific questions can be addressed here. In general try for at least 2’, preferably 3-4’ from tweeter plate to wall behind and at least 3’, preferably more to side wall with those two dimensions being different from each other.

I am only guessing about your ’wall cavities’, but any hard edges near the speaker will add diffraction distortion. A niche behind the speaker may provide an opportunity for absorption or diffraction treatment to help reduce diffraction.

If you mate with a subwoofer, try using the 40Hz EQ setting as your crosspoint.

Good luck and keep up posted.

TT