Need DAC comparable to OPPO BDP-83SE, or better, small size, USB OK, SPDIF coax...

Remodeling our RV so I can fit, after rebuilding to new shape woofer section of Edgarhorn Slimlines. Bringing my old system out of storage after many years, highly upgraded Baby Sophia tube amp. High powered big subwoofer system design underway as well. Oppo just to big to use it so need to work out a mini computer with BD player for our limited collection and will be using Qobuz for most all music. Looking into an PRi or mini computer and slim external BD player. I need some sort of switcher as well as have the TV swivel down from ceiling and a Martin Logan Vision X sound bar above it for more casual listening. CHEAP but great, I know not impossible to find but needs to match up well with the Baby Sophia and upgraded Slimlines. Thanks, Rick (Wife and doggy waiting for me, I will refine this post when I return:)
raam

Frustrated search for a decent way to upscale DVD video. Audio is working just fine with the E30 DAC, just cannot find a solid answer on upscaling unless I rip the disks, etc and I just want a simple player...I just got the latest version of Power DVD and it plays BD no better than the 83SE plays DVD disks:( I am searching all over and nothing really stands out as a good solution so if you know of anything let me know, please. In the mean time I might just buy one of the several cheap BD players that are known to do a decent job upsampling DVD disks.

Have the best days you can make happen:)

Rick

raam

Start with a Sony DVD player that upscales. These machines do not take up much space.  Prices are low as well.

Happy Listening!

Thanks, Sony is top of my list, it seems even the low cost ones upsample quite well, just have to decide on which one and buy it used unless find a great sale.

I rarely buy anything new unless hugely marked down, a return, wrong order, etc. So far have picked up around $120k in new windows, doors, furniture, appliances,

window blinds, misc materials, etc...for the all out full time RV remodel and spent less than $20k on it and nearly all brand new stuff, it has been a great way to spend retirement time:)

We seldom watch movies and never watch TV except one channel where we learn a great deal and do not have a big music library so the BD player does not need to be top notch, just decent. When we do play our CD which some of are very high quality, I will use the e30 DAC. The rest of the time will be streaming and we have a very solid connection, very fast and reliable, I will be looking more into DACs as time goes on but for now quite pleased with the e30 Topping.

Any suggestions on what to get for a Sony BD player would be greatly appreciated, it does need to be small as possible or I may as well keep the great 83SE.

Thanks!

Rick

After much research and listening I need to make a few changes to the plans one being looking into a bit higher end(sonically, reasonable cost) DAC. The e30 is great for a budget DAC but there seem to be others in the price range that are better, my budget will be around $300-500 for a good used DAC which should be more than enough. I might try an upgraded power supply for the e30, I tested several different phone chargers and USB ports on laptops and the HTPC, there were some differences.

I am going to get a Panasonic BD player as they seem to have the best upscaling of all and optical as well as digital audio on a HDMI port. The one I am getting is pretty cheap but has the same video processing as their most expensive one.

Looks like I will end up having no need for the HTPC, glad I did not spend much on it.

-----------------

I know some spend more on a set of interconnects than I will have in my whole system, whatever makes you happy or at least I hope it does. If audio was my primary hobby I would spend whatever it takes but I will be more than happy once the whole system is setup and in balance with each area doing the best it can to match the rest.

raam

Nice score! on the Panasonic.  The current production models do have the best upscaling capabilities.

Happy Listening!