Differences the Project RS2 Transport and the (newest) Jay's Audio CD2 Mk 3

@jaymark and @charles1dad are owners of the Project PS2 Transport and loving it.  I am between the Jay's Audio CD2 Mk3 and the Project.   However, did anyone compare the NEW 2019 Jay's Audio CD2 Mk3 rather than the prior model Mk2?  Steve Guttenberg reviewed them both and found significant improvement in the Mk3 version sonically.   How close are they now as the Jay's is $2500 and the Project with LTA power is closer to $4,000 (with taxes)?   

fleschler

@jackd Thanks for the "heads up" I'll investigate further.

@charles1dad The new PS transport outputs native DSD via I2s so you are getting the encrypted DSD layer.

I have most of my favorite albums on SACD some of which I've been able to copy to my server. It's very enjoyable listening to these favorites in DSD but I do still have 1000s of Redbook CDs and files and stream mostly 44.1 kHz which are all absolutely fine.

Also unless you have a collection of SACDs it's a moot point.

Anyway this px discount that PS are offering got my attention.

@lordmelton 

Given your particular circumstances and format choices the P.S. CD/SACD could be the best option for you, 

Charles 

I agree with Charles in that if you want/need full DSD output and have the ability to take advantage of the I2S output give it a try. You’ll have 30 days to see if anything odd happens that bothers you. I'll also add that nobody on the forum that I have seen including the people that sent it back had anything but raves about the sound of the PST.  Some people especially some that went through the issues with the DMP were willing to do it again.

I should be receiving my RST2 in a couple of days. I ordered it sometime in October I believe. 

I was hopeful to procure a Network Acoustics I2S cable as I already am enjoying their Muon USB that connects from my May KTE to a computer. I will post a review soon after the Project settles in.

Unfortunately, NA is so busy building their Muon cables, they could not provide me a i2S for beta test. I'm hopeful my HDMI cables can provide transport to my TRANSPORT. I have a pretty good Monster HDMI (don't laugh, it beat up on some pretty expensive boutique cable a decade ago) and a few cheapie others, but I want really a good i2S cable, a I learned lesson with the USB cable quality being important in the chain.

It will be an interesting test, having amazing digital using even the raw bit rate NOS from May KTE to computer against this well regarded transport.

I've owned so much gear in my lifetime. Why am I excited to see what this transport can do against a ripped file transported from a noisy computer motherboard over USB? The Muon USB - somehow seemed to even elevate the sound beyond what my extensive network junk could perform. 

Congratulations on those who own both the Jay's and the Project not to mention the CEC's. Let's give those shiny discs a workout!

@desalvo55

Congratulations on those who own both the Jay’s and the Project not to mention the CEC’s. Let’s give those shiny discs a workout!

Yep, those shinny discs can sound superb with a high quality CD transport. Pro-Ject has their own proprietary i2s so may or may not work with your DAC. I look forward to your listening impressions.

Charles