Looking for a new "universal" player

Hi All,

I'm in the market for a new universal player that will see dual duty as a video transport and hi-rez audio player. Redbook CD performance isn't critical as I have a GNSC-modified Wadia 861 which is doing just fine in that department.

Currently I have a Denon DVD-3930CI which is great for video, but less-than-stellar for audio. I would just have this unit modified for audio performance, but a change in cabinetry is forcing the DVD player to be silver (to match everything else). Denon no longer offers the 3930 (or much of anything else) in silver.

Here's what I "need:"

- Excellent video performance. Current display is 1080i, but I may have 1080p soon.
- DVI or HDMI video
- Silver brushed aluminum faceplate
- Balanced outputs for 2 ch audio.
- Can't spend more than $5k

Here's what I would like to have:

- solid construction (in the same class as the Wadia)
- reference-level SACD performance

This actually shouldn't be too hard to scare up as an Esoteric UX-3 or DV-60 should work just fine. Since my budget is going to pretty much dictate used and the DV-60s seem to be holding their value better than the UX-3s it seems to make sense to push it a bit and go for a UX-3

Anything else out there that I should look at? Although I can spend up to $5k I would prefer to spend a lot less.

My SACD collection isn't extensive at this point, but it will grow over time. I would like to find a player that will serve my needs for the long haul.

Thanks!
Andrew
esoteric-audio
I've considered the Linn and have it on my list, but I've always wondered about the build quality. Not to say that the Linn is a low-quality product, but that it doesn't seem to employ the same vibration dampening-through-mass that a number of other top-end players use.

I've heard the Esoteric DV50 (and liked it), but haven't had a chance to evaluate the Linn. Can you compare the sonic characteristics of the two (on SACD)?
Bofh,

I've had an Esoteric DV-50s for some time now and shortly after aquiring it also had a unidisc 2.1 (I know Jim, you got the 'big one') so I can tell you quite clearly the differences between these two, FWIW they both were ran through a Linn Kisto at the time to a fully active Linn setup.

The 2.1 was a little more musical, but lacked some of the detail and separation of the DV-50, and the DV-50 clearly had deeper and tighter bass. Some might find the Esoteric to distinct, and some have said it's analitical, but I would not go so far as that. It is just more detailed than the Linn.

FWIW after a month or so with both connected, I finally sat the wife down to see her opinion, she preferred the DV-50 for it's detail and bass, while I could have easily lived with either, the DV-50 won me over too and that is still in one of my systems today... well actually it's on the counter as I had to try something else for a while but it's still in heavy rotation.

My 0.02.

KT
There really isn't a whole lot of competition out there. It's pretty much the esoteric or the Linn - and like you, I find the Unidisk to reflect somewhat poor build quality for the price, and I found the transport to be too slow in operation for my taste. I prefer $10k+ audio pieces to respond quickly to user input
The DV-60's are holding their value better because they are newer than the UX-3's, even the UX-3 SE's. The DV-60's have the more up to date video circuitry, including upscaling to 1080p and HDMI outputs, which the UX-3's do not have. Though the UX-3 does have a DVI output, it's not 1080p.

FWIW, I've also owned a Esoteric DV-50S, and the DV-60's video performance is much better.
With the HD DVD vs. Blue Ray battle just begining, as well as HDMI 1.3 emrging, I suspect manufacturers know that many consumers might be reluctant to purchase high end players until things settle. Maybe the new Arcam's can tide you over?