“House” Character of Popular $20-$30k Speakers

I’ll be upgrading my speakers in a bit (after I add a turntable to my system). I’ve always thought that people two often end up attempting to correct or compensate for a quality they don’t like in one of their system components. My thought is that speakers and amps shouldn’t try to “correct” each other, but rather, they should complement each other, while sharing many similar qualities in their sonic signatures.

With that in mind, I’d describe my Gryphon Diablo 300 with the internal DAC (fed by an InnuOS Zenith MK3 streamer) as being rich, lively, engaging, slightly warm but moderately detailed, with dramatic dynamic swings that can often simulate a live sound. Smooth but energetic and engaging at the same time. My speakers I’ll be upgrading from are B&W 803 D2’s. Big full and bold sound but with finesse and moderate quickness too.

What brand of speakers would be along the lines of the sound I describe above? I’d be hoping to follow this sonic signature in my next speaker purchase, but adding some small capabilities with transparency and detail, imaging, and low end presence.

The speaker brands I have in mind to look into are:

-Magico (would check out the A5’s. I hear the A5’s could be too analytical for some, but have an excellent and clean bass presence.  Bust most rave about the A5)

-Sonus Faber (heard these are too relaxed for some?)

-Wilson Audio (if I can get over how they look)

-Monitor Audio

-Dynaudio: Maybe this brand could be a sweet spot?

-B&W: I’ve tested many and find them lacking in bass presence resulting in a mid forward style. That said the 802 D3’s I auditioned matched the sonic character of their upper ranges very well.

Would be interested in how others describe the house sounds if the brands above…

nyev

@thyname , yes, I meant to say that the review said the 802 D3’s would be lacking in bass in rooms larger than 430 sq feet.

As I mentioned, I have the 803 D2’s but initially auditioned my Diablo 300 with the 802 D3’s (a number of times for extended periods).

@sc2 , unfortunately those brands are not available in my area. I’m making an exception and willing to travel to listen to the Rockports, just due to how many people seem to love and recommend them. Seems like people refer to them as a natural sounding, musically engaging speaker that strikes a good balance.

I do wonder if they have enough presence for my 600 sq feet high ceiling room though (the Atria 2’s)…

@nyev 

I’m also shopping in the $20-30k range.

The Magico A5 is a bargain at it’s price point.  It surpasses the S3 and completes with the S5mk2.  It’s midrange is fantastic.  
Magico generally are neutral transparent speakers so should be a relatively clear window into the rest of your audio chain.  It may be an ideal subjective match for your Gryphon Diablo- only you can tell what you like.  The A5 is my top choice so far, but my dealer wants me to demo Rockports and Vimbergs first.

I’ve auditioned the Monitor Audio PL300 II several times- it’s sounds great at it’s price point, but was not in the same sonic and price point as the A5.  The PL500II are too large/tall for my tastes and space.  The Monitor Audio line offers great price/performance from the Silver and up.

I never warmed up to the Wilsons or B&W sound.  But it’s likely a matter of personal taste.

It’s best to demo speakers in your own system.  If not possible, then demo it with your Diablo.   Otherwise, you’ll be hoping and guessing what sound “you”  like based on data of what “others” like which may or not align with your own subjective tastes.  

@kennyc , what gear / amplification was paired with the A5’s when you listened to them?

I feel like I have no harsh or sibilant components in my chain, so hopefully the A5’s won’t be strident or harsh sounding in my system.  The Diablo manual advocates not trying to “correct” sound with cabling, but rather to select the electronics you like and choose cabling that does as little as possible to the sound.  They recommend silver cabling, which I have.  So maybe the A5’s can be an extension to this philosophy…

Since I know how the B&W’s sound, how were the A5’s different?

And yes, I will be going and auditioning with my amp if I have to (hate to disturb it…)…

On a side note I still hope I like the Magicos, as I actually really like their “boring” understated look.  Sonus Fabers look incredible, but it reminds me of a fancy hotel lobby or the reception to a members only airport lounge…. Magico’s just look plain and cool to me!

I had the 802 D3 and they definitely lacked bass presence. Switched to Wilson Alexia 2 and it’s like someone added a sub. Almost the same size drivers but ported.