Audio Research REF 80S Reviews/Comparisons

Would love to hear some opinions regarding the new REF 80S and how it compares to their previous generations of amps.  Here is my ARC amp story.

Classic 120 mono blocks - Played much stronger and more dynamic than their modest 110 wpc rating.  I found them very musical and enjoyed immensely for about 2-3 years.

REF 150 (nonSE) - This was an upgrade in all aspects.  I only sold due to the next entry

GSi75 - This was a diversion I made last year as simplification gained priority in my mind and I loved the aesthetics of this masterpiece being center stage on my shelf.  I still believe it is a phenomenal integrated for someone that has efficient speakers, which I do not(89db).

REF 75SE - This amp is far superior compared to the GSi75.  I find its power more comparable to the REF 150.  I wish I had them to A-B.  I was happy with the REF 150 and I am happy with this.  

I am in no hurry to get a REF 80S...maybe in a few years when it is replaced with an SE model and the price comes down on the S.  
dhite71
@fsonicsmith - unless I am mistaken, which may be the case since I am not a tech, you have the same problem I had. The plastic cover of the slow start circuit fuse is burned. If so, the solenoid start switch and thermister need to be replaced. This is not a cheap repair. An ARC service center tech quoted me $1K. Did Evan or Greg share their impressions of the pics you posted? If my guess is correct, I was told that the whole circuit board needs to be lifted and the underside inspected. For a couple of parts costing less than $50, that could be a lot of labor. Please advise.

@bifwynne Greg looked at the pics and said "that is strange". But when I read your first reference to the slow start circuit fuse I thought "yeah, that's what I think happened to mine".

I expect anything that goes wrong other than a power tube resistor to be an expensive repair. 

@fsonicsmith - is there an epilogue to the 150SE situation?  Did ARC suggest next steps?  How about a local ARC authorized service tech. 

Even if the repair is properly done, I would expect that the tech would thoroughly bench test the 150SE to make sure it was operating at factory spec.

@bifwynne -No there is no epilogue. ARC told me that there are no authorized techs in my area though for some reason they thought I live in Florida. Just the same, I know that there are no authorized techs in Ohio. I am still in a holding pattern with the amp. I will likely take it to the tech I have referred to above-he works on pro audio gear mostly and knows his way around tube amps. If ARC were to give me an RMA anytime soon I would ship it off to them. I don't mind knowing that it will be five months before I get it back if I could just ship it off to them. Weird, illogical, but that is just where I am at. The Ref 80S is sitting in my downtown office where it was shipped to and I am in France on vacation. This weekend I will be home and setting it up.