Peachtree GaN 1 Beta

Before I start my post here is my current system for reference:

Auarlic Aries G1 --> Denafrips Terminator or SW1X DAC --> Audio GD HE1 XLR preamp or Sachs preamp --> various tube amps --> Cube Nenuphar Mini's w/ a pair of REL S510 subs. Cables and power conditioning commensurate with the rest of the system.

As warmer months approach I have been looking for a cool running amp to replace my Line Magnetic LM-518 and other tube amps for a few months as they run pretty hot.

I've been interested in the GaN FET amps and just purchased a used LSA Voyager 350 Gan FET amp which I should receive in a few days. I've tried class D amps before and while they checked a lot of boxes I just didn't feel drawn in. However, I like to explore so I figured I'd try the GanFET and since the amp has zero feedback and my speakers seem to prefer amps with little or no feedback I figured it be worth checking out.

Today, Peachtree Audio sent out an email inviting users to a beta of their new Gan 1 amp. Here are some excerpts from their email:

What is the GaN 1?

In basic terms it is a 200 Watts-Per-Channel (WPC) Power Amplifier designed to be the sole interface between your digital audio device with a variable output, like a Bluesound NODE, and your speakers. The GaN 1 is a simple, pure and cost-effective audio solution: connect the GaN 1 to a streamer and a pair of speakers and you have an amazing Hi-Fi system. That's it...no DAC, no preamp and no input switching. The signal path from the music to your speakers is remarkably short and free of artifacts. Want to hear the intricate details in your music that have always been there, but you couldn't quite make them all out before? Then the GaN 1 is for you!

What makes the GaN 1 so special?

First and foremost is the GaN-FET amplifier module. It has several inherent advantages in a power amplifier that even the best MOS-FET designs simply cannot achieve. A GaN-FET power stage provides a precise high-power reproduction of the Class-D PWM signal with extremely high linearity. This linearity eliminates the need for ANY feedback, ultimately allowing for the best possible audio quality providing clean, clear middle and high frequencies and a tight, solid reproduction of low frequencies. GaN-FETs track the complex audio waveforms MUCH more accurately than MOS-FETs, resulting in significantly more transparent and natural sound. The difference is something even a casual listener can hear and appreciate. The GaN 1 is also designed so that it does NOT require a digital-to-analog-converter (DAC). The digital audio signal at the input directs the amplifier outputs to drive the speakers. Although DACs have continued to improve over the years, there is no DAC better than NO DAC! This concept is not new as similar devices known as "Power DACs" made quite a splash in our industry years ago. But this time around, by executing the concept with GaN-FETs, the bar is raised to an entirely new level.

Key Features at a Glance:

▪ 200 WPC state-of-the-art GaN-FET module
▪ ZERO feedback design
▪ Regulated 450-Watt power supply
▪ Coaxial S/PDIF input with native support up to 24-bit / 192kHz
▪ DAC-less design
▪ Power on/off trigger port
▪ All aluminum chassis
▪ No cooling fans

This sounded really interesting to me and since I have a good streamer I signed up for the amp beta only. One aspect that intrigues me is to create an extremely minimal signal path. My speakers are single driver, crossover-less design. Employing the GaN 1 will mean the system will be Auralic Aries --> GaN 1 --> Cube Nenuphar Mini's. Will that lead to a more engaging sound vs the full system? Will the Voyager GaN 350 outperform a tube amp in the full system? Who knows, should be fun to find out....

Now, I have no idea how either of these GaN FET amps will work with my speakers. The Cube Nenuphars seem to prefer amps with low damping and no negative feedback, which is more common with SET tube amps and Class A solid state amps. I'm not sure of the damping factor of the GaN FET amps, but both are Zero feedback designs, and both have way more wattage than I need. For reference, I have a 1.5 wpc 45 tube amp that sounds amazing with the Cubes, so high wattage is not required. I am interested though in what these amps will sound like compared to my tube amps, and I am particularly interested in what the streamer direct to amp Peachtree will sound like.

I am also looking to acquire a First Watt SIT-3, which is a great match with the Cubes, but now that they are no longer produced prices have gone above my current comfort level. If I can get one I will throw it into the experiment.

The Peachtree won't be shipped until sometime in June, or possibly later. In the meantime I will get the LSA Voyager in the next few days. I might even be able to get it hooked up this weekend so stay tuned, should be an interesting experiment...

abd1

The electronics inside the Peachtree GaN400 are supposed to be very similar, if not identical, to those inside the LSA Voyager.  Don't know about this new Peachtree, but be prepared not to hear much of a difference.

@twoleftears 

I figured they are similar designs using similar modules but the PT GaN1 is 200 wpc so something might be slightly different. The other difference is the GaN1 is designed to be driven direct from the streamer with no DAC. I love my DACs but curious to hear what a DAC-less design will sound like. That being said, I should have the Voyager amp before the PT. If the Voyager doesn’t sound good with my setup I’ll probably cancel the PT. We’ll see…

Yes, the Peachtree GaN 400 amp and the LSA GaN Voyager amp are essentially the same.....same manufacturers modules and power supplies (unless a pic of the inside of the Peachtree shows different). These amps are NOT zero feedback. Right on the Peachtree site it says "low global negative feeback". The reviewer who thought it was zero feedback is WRONG.

This new Peachtree GaN 1 amp uses modules from the same company.....but these are indeed zero feedback as there are no analog stages to take feedback to. For this reason, they wiill not measure as good as the ones with feedback (ASR will not like these one bit). However, they are full "digital amps" like the Technics.....that is, they change the digital PCM signal directly in software to PWM (class D type of structure).......so you elimiinate your DAC and preamp and cables in between. The company that makes the modules (Elegant Audio Solutions) claims these "digital direct" amps sound better than the analog versions. The parts and execution of the output stages are the same in both modules (I have the brochures here).

So yes, you will hear quite a difference between the analog ones and the direct digital ones.....I hope the direct digital sounds better.....I am all for less is better......but we shall see.....er...hear.

The reason why the GaN 1 will list for $2K is that it uses a single stereo board and smaller power supply than the GaN400.  The GaN 400 uses two stereo boards bridged and a larger power supply.....hence the $3K price.

Intriguing...may have to try it out.

Just sent Peachtree an inquiry.  Any details on a return policy for this Beta program?

@mbolek 

Not sure of the return policy, but they do ask that you don't try and resell it for 12 months.

@ricevs 

Good info, thanks. Have you heard either of these amps? Based on this info I may continue with the Peachtree even if I'm not thrilled with the Voyager. It will be interesting trying these amps with my speakers as they tend to prefer 0 feedback, low damped amps and don't need more than a couple watts to kick ass. I also have a pair of Salk Wow1 monitors in my office, and those seem like a great match for these amps. I'll probably try the GaN FET amps there too but I listen at really low volumes there so likely overkill.