Audio Research REF 80S Reviews/Comparisons

Would love to hear some opinions regarding the new REF 80S and how it compares to their previous generations of amps.  Here is my ARC amp story.

Classic 120 mono blocks - Played much stronger and more dynamic than their modest 110 wpc rating.  I found them very musical and enjoyed immensely for about 2-3 years.

REF 150 (nonSE) - This was an upgrade in all aspects.  I only sold due to the next entry

GSi75 - This was a diversion I made last year as simplification gained priority in my mind and I loved the aesthetics of this masterpiece being center stage on my shelf.  I still believe it is a phenomenal integrated for someone that has efficient speakers, which I do not(89db).

REF 75SE - This amp is far superior compared to the GSi75.  I find its power more comparable to the REF 150.  I wish I had them to A-B.  I was happy with the REF 150 and I am happy with this.  

I am in no hurry to get a REF 80S...maybe in a few years when it is replaced with an SE model and the price comes down on the S.  
dhite71

So I called and had a very pleasant conversation with Evan. I explained my situation. I asked for a schematic. He asked someone else while I held and said "yes, we can send you the schematic". I gave him my email. Hours passed. Nothing. So I wrote three times asking for the schematic I had been told would be forthcoming and Greg Christensen ghosted my question and instead circumvented to how long it would be (6-9 months!) before I could return it. This over a course of three days when I brought up the schematic each and every time.

I am very happy ARC owns ARC again. I am very happy they are answering their phone again. I am not so happy about the backlog (though understandable) and the lack of a direct clear answer (avoidable and inexcusable).

Now all that said, a tech with tons of experience (Vern Leckrone of CT) told me that the best way to get my amp repaired the right way was with ARC and as I said above, between the lack of a schematic and the lack of reliable tubes I am willing to wait and pay the huge premium. The Ref 150 SE is a great amp so why not get it done right?

@fsonicsmith 

See my responses below:

• Although every loudspeaker is (duh) different, what is the nominal impedance of your Paradigm Sig S8 V3’s and what tap did you find best?

Response:  The S8 (v3) nominal impedance is 8 ohms, but that is misleading.  The impedance and phase angle curves are all over the place, ... like most modern speakers that are voiced to be driven by a solid state/low output impedance amp.  More important I think, .... the S8s are rated at 92db sensitivity.  The 8 ohm taps seem to work best, ... on both the 150SE and the 80S.  The high sensitivity makes the S8s a good fit for the 80S.    

• Did you play around at all with power cords? And related to that, are you going to through a power conditioner or straight to the wall?

Response:  No playing around with power cords.  I use stock cords.  No power conditioner. 

@fsonicsmith .... did you consider using an ARC authorized service center?  Greg should be able to give you some names.  I am still not clear about what ails your amp, but the 150SE circuitry is not rocket science and there are probably only a few key parts that go bad. The real cost is labor.

My main problem was that the 150SE amp is heavy and bulky.  The ARC tech guy I wanted to use would not lift the amp, so I had to schlepp it to his location.  That was a nonstarter for me, ... but maybe not an issue for you.  Also, if you need fresh KT-150s, consider Upscale Audio and be sure to let them know you are matching pairs for a 150SE.  The matches should be pretty tight.

Let me know how you make out.

BIF            

FYI… on power cords for your new Ref 80’s. My REF 160s (same design) is very sensitive to changes in power cords. I have been tried all versions of Cardas Clear… in my system they are all warm… but attenuate the details a bit too much… although has more detailed upper bass. I tried Transparent (not the ones specifically made for an amp) this was great on details but the bass lost heft. So, I tried a Audio Quest Monsoon and seems just right. I bought one… I may try a Dragon sometime, a member here recommended it.

The difference between the Cardas and Audio Quest was not subtle at all. Actually a bigger difference than between the REF160s and the REF160m monoblocks.

BIF, thanks. I could be mistaken but I don't believe ARC has authorized repair facilities any more. And I don't mean to argue unnecessarily but I have the personal view that phase angle means far more than nominal impedance. "Nominal" has a meaning-"of name". It along with claimed sensitivity means little. 

@ghdprentice Thanks!