Technics SL 1200GR with What Cartridge???

I'm starting yet another thread on a similar topic, because I don't want to hi-jack someone else's thread, and I haven't found the answer to my question in other threads.

OK... I'm considering returning to vinyl for some of my listening and I need a Cliff's Notes version of what cartridges I might want to use.  

I've had a Linn Sondek LP12 for years, which I've barely used... but... it's been in storage.  As I recall it was pretty "finicky" and required a lot of attention to perform it's best (which was/is good).  I don't have enough patience anymore to deal with that, and am planning on moving to a Technics SL 1200GR, because it seems simple to operate, gets good reviews and doesn't seem to require a lot of attention. 

It appears that you can get great sound quality from the 1200GR with a good cartridge.  I'm just not sure what might be optimal / best for the money.

I also do not want to go crazy with esoteric cartridges that cost a mint.  My budget is probably in a range of... say... $300-400 to maybe $800-900 (if the cartridge is noticeably better than the more modestly priced cartridges).  

My Linn cartridge is a MM cartridge, I think (Basik or K9) in an Itok arm.  

That's about it.  

I'm not really interested in considering a lot of alternatives either in a turntable, or cartridges.  

Any guidance in this context would be appreciated.

bassdude
@chayro

"Honestly, if you have the Linn already, I would have it properly set up and just keep it. Once properly set up, Linn should go for many years without issues... new springs, grommets and a new belt are not expensive."

Yeah - that’s what I was thinking, but I assumed that Audio Concepts in Dallas (my Linn Dealer) would be too pricey even for just a new belt and set up. The platter has been off during storage, so and it’s not been moved a lot, so I don’t think it should need anything more, if even that. Maybe some lube for the platter spindle and bearing. It’s not been used much at all (very few hrs) and it’s been disassembled and in storage for years.

Of course, I’d prolly get a new / upgraded cartridge. And, that prolly would be something other than Linn, since they’re too pricey. Don’t know what that would be yet. And... would need a new phono stage. Have no idea what the best price / performance would be there.

But... If I can avoid being "ripped off" by the dealer, that might be the best option.

Which is the primary reason I was considering the SL 1200GR and Hanna cartridges. No chance for that by making the change.

@yogiboy

"My friend uses the Grado Opus 3 with that Technics and it sounds damn nice. And the price is right!"

So... what phono stage is he using with it?  Hi or Low output cartridge?