The sound quality from DACs - is it all the same?

I've been talking to my cousin brother about sound quality. He is a self-proclaimed expert audiophile. He says that Audio Science Review has all of the answers I will need regarding audio products.

In particular, he says an inexpensive DAC from any Chinese company will do better than the expensive stuff. He says fancy audio gear is a waste of money because the data is already bit-perfect.  All DAC chips sound the same. Am I being mislead? 

He also said that any DAC over $400 is a waste of money. Convincing marketing is at play here, he says.

He currently owns a Topping L30 headphone amplifier and D30 Pro DAC. He uses Sennheiser HD 569 headphones to listen to music.  I'm not sure what to think of them. I will report my findings after listening one day! (likely soon, once I get some free time)

- Jack 

jackhifiguy

DACs DO make a difference in sound.

However, as with anything else in the audio world, it follows the path of diminishing returns.

A $20,000 DAC does NOT usually sound 10 times better than a $2,000 DAC.

Get a Chord Qutest at around $2000 (one of the best DACs around) and skip the dcs Bartok at $20,000 coz most likely, you will not be able to tell the difference.

Yesterday yet again one of the ASR minions stated that there is no difference in Dacs. I purchased a new Dac some weeks ago. Prior to this I listened to about 8 different Dacs to make up my mind. Interestingly the Dacs that rated very highly in the master minion's tests appealed the least.
I listen to a lot of opera and have gone to many many live performances. Topping made the female voice sound shrill in the mid range. It was quite unpleasant after a while and not remotely lke a live performance. I would suggest you listen to a recording such as Richard Strauss, Die Vier Letzten Lieder, Jessye Norman, , Kurt Masur, Gewandhaus Orchestra. In my opinion this is an excellent recording to compare the nuances of the female voice.
The minions at ASR state that R2R Dacs are distorted. Well I guess then live performances are also distorted. They probably only listen to heavy metal. They really disparage R2R dacs, preferring Delta Sigma. If you want to purchase a delta Sigma, at least get one with an AKM chip if you can. This is superior to Ess in my opinion.

your cousin's brother is very ill-informed, that's do indeed sound different but you don't need to pay $110,000 for one like audio note charges, 45,000 can buy you incredibly good analog sounding dac.

Take a listen yourself.

$100 DAC - Audioquest Dragonfly Black

$3000  - Goldnote DS10

$10000 - Meitner MA3

$30000 DAC - EMM Labs DV2

$105k - MSB Select

$150k - Wadax Reference

I think the MA3 is the sweet spot. For the 100k DACS, you won't hear much difference  in my opinion unless if all of your gear is up there too