Least Expensive Power Conditioner/Surge Protector That Won't Worsen Sound

I have an old Shunyata Hydra 6 that I'm sending off to Shunyata to repair. In the meantime, I'm curious - What's the least expensive power conditioner/surge protector that won't worsen the sound? 

I've already discovered that plugging my integrated directly into the wall sounds the best. But I have source components. I have liked the Shunyata, but just in case they're not able to get it back to like new shape, what are your thoughts? (I tried numerous PLCs at the time I bought it almost 20 years ago and I thought it, by far, sounded better than any other one I auditioned in my system, and that included the Hydra 8).

I see many users who have reported worsening sound when using the Audioquest PQ2 and PQ3.

Something like a Panamax PM 5300 or 5400?  Or the Furman Elite 15?

And what is the danger of under-voltage?

analogj

What's the least expensive power conditioner/surge protector that won't worsen the sound? 

It sounds like you're hoping to get the Shunyata back. I agree with your thinking, find something for the mean time, then go back to the Shunyata or replace it.

I haven't used audiophile conditioners. You can get medical grade used isolation transformers from ebay, or you can find a ups that takes in AC, converts it to DC, then inverts it back to AC. I think that this is increasingly common. They used to send the AC right to the output, and would tap off of it to charge the battery. If power dropped, a relay would drop and switch the output to the battery powered inverter. Electronics running at slower frequencies, older computers and such, would run fine during the transition, but today's gear will often shut down, so the ups' commonly run off the battery constantly, but check to be sure. They can be had for a few hundred dollars. It needs to be able to supply sufficient current to run for amp at full power though.

Yes, @lowrider57, that's my hope.

I think it's generally been in agreement that for power and integrated amps, the sound is best when plugged directly into the wall. Whether that's smart for the ultimate health of the piece of equipment may be another argument. Is it worth the gamble?

My question, though,  is more related to the use of a PLC with non-power amp equipment. Ostensibly, a PLC cleans the electricity of noise, and some units may help provide consistent voltage. My question is whether some units/designs might actually worsen the sound from source equipment. Theoretically, reducing noise in the electricity would improve blackness of background, exposing finer detail, as well as improve dynamics. Might it also color (or discolor) the sound in some way, i.e., brighten, gray, dull, or flatten the 3-dimensionality of the sound?

Again, I'm just asking about source equipment, including phono preamplifiers.

If not, is the spending money on the better PLCs mainly for the purpose of better protection and being able to use them with power amps?

I was looking at a Panamax provided chart of their PLCs, and saw that their models reduce noise anywhere from 50dB to 80 dB depending on model. Okay, I can potentially understand the benefits of greater noise reduction, but are there other factors which contribute to how well a PLC will affect the sound?