Cartridge Loading for a phono pre amp

Hello,

I have recently acquired a phono pre amp recommended by Michael Fremer.  It is “THE VINYL”, from QHW audio, Spain.  It got a great review.  I have a Benz Micro Glider rated at 1.1MV.  I have no idea how to set the dip switches for MC Load impedance for this cartridge. The options I have are as follows: 47K, 1K, 560R, 470R, 100R, and 47R.  I have a solid state amp and pre-amp, and also have a sub that I use, rarely.

Any advice would be most appreciated!!

judsauce

holmz the compliance issue developed by changes in load impedance already was answered in this thread. Obviously not important for a normal audiophile because does not affects neither the LOMC cartridge frequency response

Yeah… Ralph fed me a while ago.

Hence I have no idea why you are still on me about being fed.
I am sated,

@rauliruegas  Apparently you've yet to sort out that I've never stated that loading affects frequency response of LOMC cartridges. Please cease and desist from claiming otherwise.

47K is the standard loading value for all cartridges, which is why phono preamps have a 47K input impedance. The reason many LOMC cartridge manufacturers might state a lower value (like 100 Ohms) is that they have no idea how competent the phono section will be to which their cartridge will be connected. Obviously it won't sound right if its sensitive to RFI from the cartridge and the loading detunes that resonant peak to which JCarr, Jim Hagerman and I have referred. So a nominal value of 100 Ohms is specified since there are so many phono sections that do have problems in this regard.

"

When LOMC cartridges appeared at the same time the LOMC manufacturers designed/manufacture too SUT because there was not active high gain phono stages. So, all phono stages came with 47k where the SUT must be connected.

Latter on appeared the active high gain phono stages to drive LOMC in exclusive way with no facilities to handle MM/MI cartridges, even those LOMC phono stages cames ( even some today ) with impedance load different values choices coming from 100 ohms to 1k ( more or less. ) where no one came with the option to choose 47k. "

Stating that someone is stupid, when he is clearly not, indicates the accuser has lost. Why don’t you just leave this forum until you’re able to behave as an adult.

Dear @fundsgon  :  So you agree that 47k is standard for LOMC since appeared as is in the MM/MI cartridges ?

If yes then please re-read my last post. For whatever reasons that's what happens. I'm speaking of phono stages mnufacturers not LOMC manufacturers.

R.