Who Is An Expert On Acutex Cartridges?

I am curious. What happened to the company? Did the 320 III LPM or the 320 III STR come first? I also know of a 420 STR. Where are they now?
zoltarcat

Timel, I actually have a Grado TLZ that I used as my one and only cartridge for several years back in the 80s. I still have its factory packaging which includes that triangular, dimpled piece of plastic for separating cartridge from headshell. I remember trying to install it was more trouble than the value of it, if any. With the Acutex cartridges, if you use the Saturn V, which I am using now out of necessity because I damaged the conventional headshell adapter, you of course have no use for a spacer, or the spacer is irrelevant. I can’t tell yet whether I like the LPM320 best in a headshell or in the Saturn V. The disaster with my MMC1 prompted me to dig out an MMC20CL that I bought "used" several years ago during the MM craze. Microscopic exam of the stylus the other day shows it to be in excellent condition, so I am going to give it a go. It either came with the B&O adapter that resembles the Saturn V, or I bought that adapter separately. So, once assembled, the MM20CL in its slender adapter that fastens right up to the arm wand, resembles an Acutex cartridge in the Saturn V. Haven’t heard the MM20CL yet. Maybe by tomorrow I will have an opinion.

There has been some contretemps on this website regarding the "Cartridge Enhancer" which is a spongy spacer meant to go between cartridge and headshell. Some loved it; some hated it; some heard no difference.

Regards, Lewm, Islandmandan:

Lew, I tried the Saturn V, seemed to diminish that intangible referred to as "air". Resonances can be either constructive or destructive, I'm unable to support it but it seems to me the flimsy mount of the LPM series contributes a character to these carts I very much enjoy.

If I follow you correctly, the MMC20CL is line contact on sapphire, the MMC1, same, and now the Acutex 315 rebuilt with LC on sapphire, should make for some interesting listening! 

Much discussion relative to resonance has been engaged in, wether to damp (at the pickup) or dump through the TA (deck, platter, LP & back to the cartridge). Spacers, isolation devices and probably the "Cartridge Enhancer" modify system dependent characteristics, there's no easy answer there. It seems I'm transitioning to Yamamoto and Ortofon wood headshells. With the variations in species there is a degree of capability to "tune" the cart to the rig, the Saturn V headshell and Grado spacer sit idle in a drawer. 

Islandmandan, our fellow forumite "Frogman" has a high opinion of the Acutex 415.

Mine required attention to every aspect of setup. It is a very interesting cartridge.

Peace,

Timeltel, the 415 is very good cartridge, especially considering its price. I don't remember how much I paid for it, but it wasn't much.

I've got to stop being lazy and listen to more vinyl!

Regards,

Dan

Timel, I have always felt, and occasionally stated here, that for high compliance cartridges, in theory there is not much energy that needs to be dissipated from the cartridge body, because the cantilever and suspension dissipate most of it.  I would think that something like the Cartridge Enhancer or a solid spacer would make much more difference for  a low compliance type.  I don't know whether this works out to be true or not, in practice, and the answer probably also varies depending upon the tonearm and the efficiency with which it is damped, or not damped. Yes, I look forward to a sapphire/line contact jubilee.  Not only those three cartridges, but I also have a Grace Ruby with the SS OCL re-tip.  So, 4 different cartridges with sapphire and OCL tips.  The Grace/OCL is quite nice.

Last night, I listened first to my AT ART-9, and then I installed my Acutex M 320 LPM cartridge. I was astonished how good the Acutex sounded. It makes me realize I need to fine tune the setup on the ART 9.

The Acutex made the best sounding music I've heard on the Garrard 401/Denon 501 arm, and Modwright SWP 9.0 SE phono pre.

The new (to me) Herron VTSP-3A preamp has illuminated the strength of ancillary components as never before. Makes me want to listen to more of the LP collection again. The M 320 LPM is a keeper, I'll want to check out the 415 again soon.

Regards,

Dan