Power Cables and Wall Sockets

Without knowing for certain, it seems to me that power cables can only be as good as the in-home wiring coming to the wall socket. Is it possible that those who use expensive cables have improved the wiring to the socket? Or is the power from most wall sockets normally excellent, but is limited by conventional power cables?

128x128imaninatural

The "wiring in the wall" argument has been debated ad nauseam. What is clear for the person undecided about that argument is that there is a process to decide for oneself. 

(a) Buy a good power cable with a return policy (buy used from The Music Room, e.g.)

(b) Try it out.

(c) Keep or return.

It's really that simple. 

@hilde45 I should have dug into the archives to answer the "wiring in the wall" question. But I appreciate the response and am looking forward to upgrading the cables to my amps to begin and see what kind of improvement that I hear. 

One thing that I am curious about is if upgraded power cables will eliminate the issue of my lights dimming when listening at reasonable high volume.

One thing that I am curious about is if upgraded power cables will eliminate the issue of my lights dimming when listening at reasonable high volume.

No. I’m 98% sure it will not. That is due to things taking place in the circuit. You may try a new breaker. But there again, I’m not certain. I was a carpenter/building contractor most of my life.I’ll leave the better explanations of why to the electricians

FWIW I will also correct @carlsbad on the size wire in the wall going to the outlet. It is 12 ga rather than 14. I’ve seen 14 used for light switches but not outlets

@hilde45    has a great idea. Each system is different. Some will benefit from PC’s Others will not

That's not likely. Dimming lights suggest voltage drop, best cured with a dedicated line.

NO!

Installing a dedicated 20 amp circuit for the audio gear will help with the lights dimming. Probably eliminate it.

Mike