Who Is An Expert On Acutex Cartridges?

I am curious. What happened to the company? Did the 320 III LPM or the 320 III STR come first? I also know of a 420 STR. Where are they now?
zoltarcat
For those that posted on this thread, I'm in need of information regarding the Autex M320 STR III. I'm encountering a feedback issue on my Garrard 401, with a Dynavector 501 arm. The cartridge sounds amazing until the feedback rears its ugly head. The plinth is a heavy MDF DIY on a sandbox (Brightstar Audio BigRock 2).

I'm thinking the cause might be the subwoofer that's about 10 feet away. I should have tried it without the sub, but I changed to a different cart first.

I tried Vinyl Engine, they had no info regarding compliance and arm matching on this particular cart.

I appreciate any info that can be provided.

Thanks,
Dan

I dredged up this thread, because I am once again listening to an LPM320STRIII, this time in Acutex's optional "Saturn V" headshell, which really is the lightest possible headshell, running it in my Lenco in a DV505 tonearm.  I had never tried the Saturn V headshell in my previous experience with the LPM320 cartridge.  I wonder if anyone else has got one and heard it.  Turns out, I have two Saturn Vs.  Point of information: I also own an LPM420STRIII, the later series.  Up to now, and in a post that I wrote in 2018, I would have (and did) say that the 400 series are MM type, not induced magnet type.  But my current research indicates I was wrong.  The 400 series also appear to be IM type. In fact, the specs for the LPM420 are identical to those for the LPM320, down to the stylus shape, although I have not found confirmation that the 420 would have a titanium cantilever, as does the 320.  These are in a way oddball cartridges that sound wonderful.

Regards, Lewm:

Thanks for setting the record straight.

Several years ago a cache of the LPM 4xx cartridges emerged from a vendor who became referred to as "the Italian seller". The cartridges were shipped in the original packaging. Examination of the enclosed literature clearly describes the 400 series as IM. The tri-pole configuration, although reconfigured, remained a design element and is speculatively responsible for the slightly more forward presentation of the later series.

A belated response to Islandmandan (I'd not seen this thread until now): I find that when the LPM carts are mounted on a metal headshell a cartridge isolation device improved definition on my rig (EPA 250 or 501 TA wands). Wether this is due to increased mass or diminished acoustic / mechanical feedback I cannot say.

Lewm, the LPM cartridges mounted on an Ortofon LH-8000 Japanese oak headshell introduces a slight resonance bloom at about 2k Hz. This midrange junkie finds it pleasing. A purist might prefer the Saturn V.

Peace,

Hi Timeltel, Nice to hear from you.  In all prior experience with the LPM320STRIII, I had it mounted in its headshell adaptor/coil housing, rather than in the Saturn V, but in a lightweight headshell, probably carbon fiber type.  In a fit of stupidity that often overcomes me, I seem to have damaged the adapter section by pushing to hard on it, thereby causing an apparent short circuit of the L channel ground connection.  That was more than a year ago, and I put the Acutex aside in order to listen to others of the cartridges I bought during the heyday of the Raul thread on "MM" cartridges.  One of these was an NOS B&O MMC1. Along with a few other cartridges mostly MC types, the MMC1 held my attention for the past year.  I really love(d) the MMC1; I would be hard-pressed to choose between it and the Acutex, except to say that the Acutex probably has a bit more bass slam, whatever that is. I use the past tense, because last week I broke the cantilever off the MMC1 while in the innocent act of flipping the stylus guard. They should have called it "the cantilever destroyer". That incident sent me back to the Acutex now on the Saturn V (because that conventional headshell adapter cum coil housing needs repair) as my go-to non-MC cartridge.  These are the only two cartridges I ever "broke" in all of my audio life; I used to think of myself as "careful".  My LPM420STRIII is also NOS; I look forward to auditioning it.  I am sending off both of the broken cartridges for repair this week.

Regards, Lewm:

A vendor," PickeringUK" offered the low output cartridges some time ago, I received a XLZ-4500 and thought it wonderfully true to the recording. The third day of ownership a coincidental glance at the stylus revealed it snapped in half, the business end pointed straight down, hanging by a thread. I have no idea how it happened. Neither of us can assume the title of "The Destroyer", Conan has it claimed (woeful grin).

Acutex LPM cartridges with damaged styli occasionally show up at the "big auction site", IIRC within the 3xx & 4xx series all cartridges are the same, as in any 3xx stylus will work with the corresponding body, 4xx with 4xx bodies. During the heyday of Raul's MM thread I recollect a report of an output pin pulled off when removing the cart from a Saturn V headshell, a touch of teflon lube to the pins might be proactive. Occasionally a NOS pops up:

I've lately been listening to an AT-22, Signet TK9LCa and an AT OCC160ML rebuilt  with Soundsmith's optimized LC stylus on "ruby" cantilever. A NOS Acutex 420, after some burn in, hangs with them.