GIK alternatives

Last month, an audiophile colleague inquired about GIK acoustics on this forum. I shared my experiences as a longtime customer. I pointed out episodic challenges with build quality but a highly responsive staff. I have changed my impression and would not recommend them. GIK has recently changed CEO and several longtime colleagues appear to have left. Their prices have increased, especially for shipping. I’ve been attempting to place an order by phone without success. And their product lead time is extraordinary. For example, I was informed that routine scatter plates would not be shipped out for 2 months. They’re having problems. Any recommendations for alternative companies?

wfowenmd

I direct my comments to Glenn as a longtime customer, retired C-suite executive of a Fortune 200, and b-school prof. Your explanation is greatly appreciated. Your candid ownership of the problem is of course the first step of crisis management. That you’ve done admirably.

We’ve all recruited the wrong leadership talent, especially when there are pressing market exigencies. Fortunately as evident from this Forum, you enjoy a loyal and patient customer base. GIK is not Harley, where your customers tattoo their loyalty. But your customer demographics span the AARP to the TikTok generations. My sincere wish for recovery and business success.

As GIK enters a phase of unanticipated accelerated growth, remember to smile — it’s a good problem to have!

wfowenmd -No we are not a Harley but I love it when customers come visit us at Trade shows proud of them being a customers. :) Thanks for your comments 

Hilde45-Education with helping the customer with design has for sure been one of our top selling points.  The Gothems will be back. We have them in Europe but we just got the CNC that cuts them back on line.  After a few weeks we should be able to cut the again. Fingers crossed on that.  Once again one of those pandemic problems of ordering a part and it taking several months for it to come in.  

Glenn at GIK- could you pls look at my order # 258446, Feb 8th. and let me know an accurate status on ship date which is right around the corner. I sent an email to customer service today to check in on it too.

thank you

I’ll let you know in two weeks. I spent a few weeks going back and forth with their sales exec who only wanted to communicate via email and never on the phone. Their product mix is complicated and  gets expensive and I agree, shipping got to be a big number. The lead time was two months. I ordered about $2500 worth. Shipping was another $400. They immediately charged my pay pal in full which I believe is not allowed when ordering an item with such a long lead time- they should only charge once the order is complete and shipping. It’s due to ship the first few days of April. I since some product is made in Poland I’ve asked about delays and they’ve just responded saying "it’s set to ship on time". Could be fine. I assume ten days before the ship date there should be accurate shipping information.

I have bought more than 15 panels from Acoustimac over a 10 year period.  Their products have great finish/build quality and represent good value.  The only issue is that I have had a couple of panels arrive damaged.  Some of these cases seem more due to delivery company and not the packaging.  They have however always replaced items for free and in fairly quick fashion.  I plan to keep using them as needs arise.  I have never been tempted by GIK given how sloppy their material folding at the corners appears in pictures.

https://www.acoustimac.com

Acoustic foam tile is dirt cheap and available here https://www.thefoamfactory.com/acousticfoam/acousticfoam.html

The tiles can be mounted directly to the wall or installed in a simple frame and covered with decorative cloth. Alternatively you can get multiple colors of paint and have a splatter contest with your kids. Modern Art.