Speakers for string Quartets

Hi, I know already this is not a great question to ask, but…I’m looking for speakers that will only be used for string quartets.  Looking for something that will give me some of he sound of the body of the violin, not just strings. Looking for transparency with great tone, but don’t care too much about bass.
I have a large room, but never listen above 80db

current amps are Pass xa25, first watt F8, Aric Audio Single ended kt88, PS Audio m700.

just looking to really hear the violins, cellos. 
hHopefully the narrow range of music can reduce the list of prospects.

thanks

caglioti

I’d suggest British BBC-heritage speakers such as Harbeth, Spendor, Stirling, and Graham. These often are reviewed by Robert E Greene (a violinist) in TAS.

Another choice would be electrostatics. The low distortion is, I believe, good for string music. I find my Janszens quite good for string quartets.

An additional investment might be an equalizer, such as the Schiit Loki Max. The variance in tonal balance among SQ recordings can be extreme. An EQ will let you make more of them pleasant to listen to.

I have two friends who are professional classical musicians, playing in orchestras (one being the Philadelphia Orchestra), and both have Vandersteens, and love them.

I also have an older series 2 Vandersteen. They have beautiful tonality fitting for violin and piano. My top priority in speakers choice is 1. violin, 2. piano, so this recommendation might be useful for you.

;

Without question - the Quad ESL 57’s are the best for the acoustic music that you like.

The ATC’s would be also - but they’re expensive.

Next choice would be Harbeth 30.1’s / 30.2’s / etc.... which sound very much like the Quad ESL 57’s.  If you want something for near field - the Harbeth P3SR sounds very much like the 30.1's / 30.2's...

But... if you can accept the look of the restored ESL 57’s and have the room and matching electronics - nothing really comes that close, except possibly the 30.1’s / 30.2’s...

In fact... I’m seriously considering the ESL 57’s myself.

I love string quartets. The early and middle Beethoven quartets are fabulous, Dvorak is not bad but I can listen to Cherubini all day long.

As for speakers, only ESLs will do. Nothing, and I do mean nothing else comes even remotely close. My daughter plays violin and the sound of a rosin loaded bow stroking those strings is as frissonous as it gets.

Thanks for the perspective, suggestions. I understand the argument that speakers reproduce sound, not just specific types or instruments.

currently have modified Klipsch Cornwalls,(mods make them similar to Cornwall 4)

they sound great with most music, but give stringed instruments a steely, metallic timbre. Looking for a second set for strings only. Room is pretty well treated, I use REW to take measurements.

As some said I’m looking at British, and Magnepan, investigating electrostatics.
I’m just trying to get some perspectives from other stringed music lovers. Orchestras do very in well, but solo violin/ chamber doesn’t get the tone.

thanks for all the help.