ML no. 35 dac
Muse Model Five transport
stock power cords, no line conditioners
Custom built diy speakers
Denon 1803 receiver
Generic 16 ga speaker wire
Acoustic Zen MC2 AES/EBU from transport to dac
Silver interconnects

The problem that I'm experiencing with this setup is when I sit down to listen I find myself more times than often falling asleep rather than being engaged in the performance. While it sounds smooth, airy, open, rich, non fatiguing, etc.. it fails to convey the emotion of the recording. Not to say the no. 35 is a bad dac, it's a great dac but it just doesn't seem to do what I'm wanting.

It may get better with a higher quality transport, but I can't afford a megabuck transport. Eventually I will upgrade the speaker cables and the receiver to a quality integrated, but I don't think this would help much with the problem at hand although I could be wrong. I was thinking of just ditching the dac and transport altogether for a one box solution such as the Electrocompaniet EMC-1UP player since I was reading that it was quite a musical player or possibly try another dac and transport combo (this time one made for each other) such as the Northstar M192 combo. Has anyone else with a Levinson dac experienced the same problem as me and if so, what did you change to? Thoughts and comments are greatly appreciated.
162db
Having owened many pieces of Levinson equipment, and hearing various Levinson equipment in many stereo systems of friends, and knowing Muse equipment by reputation, if there is something lacking in your system, it is probably not the Levinson. Your system could be improved in many ways.
As noted earlier, having a smooth system that one nods away while listening, can be a good thing. When a system is right, worries about the quality of your system disappear, as you relax into the zone.

You've collected some nice pieces of equipment, as your electronics improve around your DAC and transport, so will your percieved enjoyment.
Steve
I started with a Denon receiver and Rotel CD ... I had the same problem you described... I ended up with a Levinson 360S and 37, Levinson 23.5 amp and a Modwright SWL 9.0. I got a little carried away. I really like Levinson equipment. Excellent build quality - fantastic sound.

Here is my two cents ... I like the tube idea on the front end. It made the biggest difference for me in terms of creating a system that pulls me into the music. This means you might need to sell or park the Denon and probably purchase a small amp. All this is much more than a new transport. I switched the No 37 to a Oppo DVD ($199) and didn’t notice a huge difference. I sent the Modwright in for a signature upgrade and used an older SS pre while I was waiting. I hate to say it but I was less than impressed. My system really suffered.

OR

How about a tubed integrated amp? I heard a Jolida once with a set of Paradigm 20's and that is what sent me down the path of tubes ... it really blew me away. Pathos, Rogue, Manley there are a lot of good integrated amps out there. Just a thought ...

Geez Mr. Tennis you are being awfully direct. I have to say I fully agree with you.
this is why the autolift feature on a turntable is so important.....one side of nick drake, and i'm gone baby gone.
I have a full Levinson reference system. This does nothing to draw you in nor to push you away. Many folks find out in the long run equipment that has certain sounding traits that initially thrill can push you away in the long run.

My system draws the stress right out of me and many times I will fall asleep listening. I cannot do this if I'm hearing something that bothers me.

You definately have a unique set of components, and I would look to the Denon receiver LONG before I suspected the 35 DAC.

Best,

Paul :-)