Buying used vs new speakers from a technology perspective

Do you believe a speaker's components like drivers and crossovers can become "outdated" for lack of a better word? For instance say someone is selling a pair of speakers that cost $10k in 2008 for $5k now. Comparing that speaker to a modern day $5k new speaker only looking at driver design/drivers, cabinet construction, crossover components/layout and other materials what kind of technology gap are we looking at? 

Have there been technologies or designs that have come out in the past few years that you couldn't live without after hearing? 

128x128blue_collar_audio_guy

@arvincastro 

+1 Very true on structures… big deal, and improvements over the last thirty years have been phenomenal.

I own a set of vintage Dahlquist DQ10s.  From the serial # around 1980.  I know what my musician ears tell me, they sound incredible.  Just depends on the recording though.  I'd put them up against just about any of todays 5k models.  And they cost me $375.  A f'n bargain....

Everyone is talking parts......

You are missing a larger part.

Take for example PSB and how they had access to incredible spaces to design a speaker and craft its sound.

Parts are sometimes questionable some high end use paper still for drivers while others scoff.  I am more in the space available to build.

My $.02: its price to performance.  Generally better with used speakers but there may be something you can only get with the new model but you'll pay -- the ratio will be higher.

However, I do like that many of y'all just HAVE TO have the newest thing, because I'll take your old newest thing at 40%!

Changes in speaker technologies  are far more incremental than monumental, KEF Meta being a perfect case in point. Foam surrounds definitely have a 'use by' date, especially if exposed to sunlight (UV), and caps do age, although their lifespan is generally decades. But basic design and execution are far more timeless. Witness vintage Altec, JBL, and even the humble Large Advent.