Upgrade Cart/Subplatter on Rega Planar 2 or Step up to Clearaudio Concept

Debating a turntable upgrade (currently Rega Planar 2 with Bias 2 Cart) and ROI of me either doing a subplatter upgrade (Groovetracer) and Cart Upgrade (Hana EL, SL or Dynavector 10 x5) vs. purchasing a Clearaudio Concept with Satisfy or Satisfy Carbon tone arm with either CA MC or Hana SL.

Is it worth $3000-$4000 investment and better for me to sell my Planar 2 or dump $750-$1500 into upgrades. Curious on opinions. Havent been able to demo tables side by side. Either way moving to MC I would have to get a separate MC phono stage. Currently use the built in phono stage on the MF M5si. 

Also open to suggestions as well as Phono Stage suggestions with either scenario. 

Current System:

Dyn X34

Musical Fidelity M5si

Rega Planar 2 with Bias 2 cart

Bluesound Node 2

uncrocco

@Op I am not experienced in Clearaudio and I have owned two Regas.

Think of your vinyl playback as a stool

1. Phono preamp
  2. Cartridge
  3. Turntable (and at some point you can separate into arm, power supply, etc.)

The turntable can make a huge difference - even staying with your current cartridge and phono stage and upgrading to Clear Audio, Project or even Rega.

I personally went with Rega because of its simplicity and I am not a tweaker.  And that's the best thing and worst thing about Rega's; there's certainly more upgradability in other manufacturers.

And there's lot's of options for quality turn tables that can make a big improvement with out changing your cart of phono stage.  Then when you upgrade your cart - you'll be getting increased value for the dollar spent.

@uncrocco The TT will make the biggest difference. I had a Music Hall MMF2.2 with a Nagaoka MP200 cart. Upgraded the platter to a acrylic platter with a MH cork mat running thru a ARC PH3se phonostage. After 4 years of happiness got bit by the upgrade bug, got a Clearaudio concept dark wood with a Satisfy Karden carbon fiber no cart and had my Nagaoka installed. OMG what a change!! I was told by multiple dealers that the wood does sound better than the standard concept and it looks much better. I feel that my system now sounds more organic and natural, has more weight and detail. I'm very happy with the Clearaudio Concept and have recommended it to few other friends as well. Good luck in your TT search.

I too recommend the Clearaudio.  Back in October I bought a Clearaudio Performance DC Wood with the Tracer tonearm.  I absolutely love it.  It was a huge step up from the VPI HW19 II with Eminent Technology air bearing tonearm that I had used for the last thirty plus years.

FWIW I went from VPI to the concept wood with satisfy kardon (not carbon) and use the nagaoka mp-200 cartridge to great effect. The concepts can be bought very reasonably pre-owned. Sounded better than a new model rega P3 that I also had at the time.