Amir and Blind Testing

Let me start by saying I like watching Amir from ASR, so please let’s not get harsh or the thread will be deleted. Many times, Amir has noted that when we’re inserting a new component in our system, our brains go into (to paraphrase) “analytical mode” and we start hearing imaginary improvements. He has reiterated this many times, saying that when he switched to an expensive cable he heard improvements, but when he switched back to the cheap one, he also heard improvements because the brain switches from “music enjoyment mode” to “analytical mode.” Following this logic, which I agree with, wouldn’t blind testing, or any A/B testing be compromised because our brains are always in analytical mode and therefore feeding us inaccurate data? Seems to me you need to relax for a few hours at least and listen to a variety of music before your brain can accurately assess whether something is an actual improvement.  Perhaps A/B testing is a strawman argument, because the human brain is not a spectrum analyzer.  We are too affected by our biases to come up with any valid data.  Maybe. 

chayro

But, wait - how do you evaluate the results of each test? How do the tests correlate to the SQ characteristics most important to you?

There are some tutorials available (both written and video) to help understand what the tests mean and therefore how they may be evaluated.

Understanding that might also answer your second question - there are things to watch out for, and are displayed on colorful pictures. I like pictures.

I also know that my preferences do not align well with many who contribute to ASR.

This is no cause to be disrespectful of the combined knowledge of the contributors, many of whom are electrical engineers, scientists and PhDs, and have contributed in some manner to design and building of audio and associated gears..

As with many things in life, it is valuable to learn the ability to pick and choose that which is useful to you.   

Our hearing, or actually our brain’s hearing center, adapts ... sort of like our eyes adapt to low light levels. And the hearing center has no memory, like the smell center has, when you smell something that you smelled once years ago, you know you smelled this before.

For an AB test to work it must be possible to make the switch instantly. At the very moment of the switch you can hear the difference ... if there is any.

After a while our brain takes over and we really don’t know what is happening in those grey cells. You can still decern if you like a particular sound, or if you don’t, over time, but to hear subtle differences, instantaneous switching is the only way.

I once wasted my time watching a video “review” of some audiophile switches. It was half an hour of blah blah blah about how his measurements demonstrated without a shadow of a doubt that there was absolutely no measurable difference between X Y and Z switches therefore it was impossible to hear any difference so it was all in your small “audiophile” brain, his mantra so to speak. Then he went on to briefly demo the switches he had just “measured” in his (joke of a) system. And guess what: he could clearly hear a difference. His wife could hear a difference. According to him the audiophile switches sounded significantly and audibly worse.

Without realising he had just contradicted and refuted his half hour case for “it’s in your head”. If he accepts that his experience contradicts his measurements, for better or worse, then his measurements are flawed. For me Amir became irrelevant after that video.

@reven6e And guess what: he could clearly hear a difference. His wife could hear a difference. 

Please supply a link to this video review.  I'd enjoy watching it, not least because I've not witnessed Amir bringing his wife in for a hearing experiment - was it an A/B blind test?

Amir appears believe we all suffer from expectation bias.  One  problem how does that explain when the expectation is for things to sound no better or worse but they don't?