What is your favorite cover?

There are many great covers, such as Mr. Tambourine Man,by the Byrds.  I'm curious about everyone's favorite.

rockysantoro

I like the quilt my mom made me the best.

For music Take me to river - Talking Heads

middlemass

658 posts

As usual with these types of threads, most people totally disregarded the OP’s clearly stated request of "favorite cover", meaning one, NOT a list. And yes, I know it’s hard to pick just one but I did it. It can be done.

So as not to cause any further upset, I have very carefully limited my nomination to just one, which I’m surprised no one has mentioned:  Black Magic Woman by Santana.  I’m hoping, though, to avoid being ruthlessly grilled by middlemass or his henchmen, as I would then have to admit I’ve never heard the original.

And shoutout to onhwy61:  good one!  Yes, some of us do pay attention…

onhwy61

4,764 posts

Bob Dylan's cover of Jimi Hendrix's "All Along the Watchtower".

Smokestack Lightnin’ by the Yardbirds, orig Howlin’ Wolf

Woodstock by Eva Cassidy orig Joni Mitchell

Summertime by Janis Joplin, orig George Gershwin

Ball and Chain by Janis Joplin, orig Big MamaThornton

Recently discovered Motorheads version of "Heros" by Bowie. Absolutely brilliant. Can't help but keep thinking of the Ukrainian resistance stand against that tyrant while listening to it.  Been bringing me to tears.

Considering that she co-wrote the song, I don’t know which is the original and which is the cover, but, in any case, I like Marianne Faithfull’s version of “Sister Morphine” more than that of the Rolling Stones’.