Time for a new MM cartridge

My Grado The Reference cartridge is up to almost 500 hours and is beginning to sound a bit tired. I used a restored Thorens TD-125mkII table fitted with a SME 3009 II Improved w/ removable headshell. I used the onboard MM phono stage of my Yamaha A-S2200 integrated.

Have previously run a Grado Ref Platinum and Clearaudio Virtuoso Wood cartridge. I'm considering Nagaoka MP-200 or MP-300, AT VM760SLC, Ortofon 2M Bronze. Anyone here have experience with those cartridges and the SME arm? Any other recommendations?

I listen to classic rock, blues, jazz, metal and a bit of outlaw country.

128x128hedgehog

I listen to mostly rock and reggae, and I've been using a Clearaudio Charisma MM cartridge - it ain't cheap at 2 grand, but it sure does rock my vinyl!!! 

The specs on the Charisma are impressive, and reviews seem to be quite good. It is pricey, however.

Regards hedgehog:

Other suggestions?

The AT22 and 24 cartridges are both well reviewed as are their running mates, the Signet TK9ea and the TK9LCA. The TK9LCA was at the time the top of the AT/Signet line. There are also the AT-23 and 25 integrated headshell designs, not quite as well received.

2.2mv output, inductance 85m, fr response 5 to 30k Hz. Nude .2 x .7 elliptical stylus on beryllium cantilever. The LCA response is .5 to 35k Hz. True toroidal coils, hand wound and separated by a mu-metal shield.

Stylus availability ranges from the initial TKN-29 available at DaCapo Audio to the TKN9LCA from Thakker. Fitment is compatible between the above AT and Signet cartridges. All are nude mount on beryllium cantilever. The LCA cantilever is tapered.

Also to be considered are the later TK10 upgrade with a ML stylus on BE cantilever or the elusive TK100, ML stylus on hollow ruby rod and silver wound coils.

If you’re not enamored with the classic AT "house" sound, for a slightly warmer response consider the final offering from Signet, the (Analog Master) AM 40, nude LC stylus on BE or the AM 50, ML on BE.

A favorite is the TK7LCA, nude LC stylus on BE cantilever. Although slightly slower in transient response the TK7 presents delicate Hf’s and a presence rich midrange providing hours of listener fatigue free enjoyment.

(Edit): A mention of the SoundSmith application of "Optimized LC stylus" on ruby cantilever for either the Grace F-9e or AT ML160 OCC cartridges.

Peace,

Thank you everybody for taking the time to respond. I ended up ordering the AT VM760SLC. I should have it by this weekend, and I'll have it up and running on my day off Tuesday at the latest.