How to choose an upgraded tonearm.

In two recent threads on selecting an upgraded cartridge, some of you suggested a new tonearm was in order. Since I’ve never chosen a new tonearm, I’m asking you all for some advice on how to do so for that future event.

My current turntable is a VPI Classic 2 with a VPI JMW 10.5i unipivot tonearm. A new Lyra Kleos MC cartridge is on order. I’ll likely be changing to a gimbal style tonearm. The rest of the system is Magico A3 speakers, a Luxman 507uX MkII integrated amp, a Marants Ruby CD player, and a Shunyata Hydra Denali power conditioner.

What price range should an appropriate tonearm for the Lyra Kleos be in, that would also be in keeping with the price point of my Classic 2, The Classic 2 was in the $3-4,000 range, as is the Lyra Kleos. I’ll be purchasing new, not used, and will not be upgrading any other equipment than the tonearm.

Pardon some rookie questions, but what attributes should I be looking for in a quality tonearm? Who are some of the better known manufacturers, and which models of theirs might be workable? Are there other alternative to either a gimbal or unipvot tonearm? Are tonearms generally interchangeable between different manufacturers turntables? And what improvements in sound quality might be gained by upgrading my tonearm?

Since this is all new to me, any other advice you might have about things to consider would be greatly appreciated and will help kick off my research. Thanks,

Mike

skyscraper

I have been following this thread out of interest. I am not a perfectionist, never wanted to be a surgeon or dentist. From my point of view this has danger written all over it. A turntable not built with the idea of being a universal mount for different tone arms, having to carefully match the TT to arm, to cartridge. What could go wrong? This is me… completely. I have an audio dealer that loves working on turntables… obsessed really. I would not touch one.

If I did want to do this. I would trade my VPI (I owned one for 25 years) and get a table made for different arms… then get a known synergistic combination of arm and cartridge. Then work from there.

But for now I’ll stick with my Linn LP12 and the Ekos SE waiting at my dealer to upgrade from my current Akito tone arm. But of course that is me. I am not a competent at such stuff. The sound would be worse if I did it.

@skyscraper

If you keep your table and try the dual pivot, I have a simple, inexpensive tweak that really works. For $10, I’ll sell you a cut to size, adhesive film out of PEEK, ( the same material that’s in a 3D arm pivot cup.) to place on the arm mounting structure where the pivot point makes contact. The amount of noise reduced is easily heard on my Classic 3 Sig SE.

Slaw, I am going to get the dual pivot and would very much appreciate you sending a piece of the PEEK, If you PM your name and address I’ll put a check in the mail to you, My name and the address to send it to will be on the check.

If I remember correctly, some of your suggestions to reduce noise and vibration were incorporated into the shelving built to house my equipment. To good effect your hand print is getting to be all over my system. I’ve been wondering how to mitigate the exact problem the Peek will address. What an excellent idea, and right on time. Thank you,

Mike.

I am with a limited understanding of these concerns, and have purchased known Brand Tonearms in the past that have been based on Brand, Aesthetic and Reputation.

My most recent Tonearm, is a Tonearm Model undergone a redesign, I have learned of many of the above considerations through discussion with the engineer who has produced the design and progressively improved on the micro mechanics of the interfaces.

I have been introduced through discussion and demonstration of how Traditional Materials that are industry go to choices, have been considered to be replaced, and then replaced in exchange for a more up to date modern version of a material that has a design intent to be much improved for the maintaining of stability to the materials properties across different environments.

These purpose produced formulas, especially when produced to work in an environment that might have similar conditions as met when used on a Tonearm Interface.

When combined with a 'state of the art', very modern low viscosity lubrication can show 'real time' benefits when incorporated into a Tonearm design.

The demonstrations I have received where the Progressive Work on Mechanical Interfaces has been presented as A/B comparisons between earlier generation and latest generation selection for materials has been quite revelatory.

Especially when a modern material in use that has once made a great impression when utilised, has been exchanged for a same material with a change in machining tolerance for the part to change the mechanics at the interface, and a 'cutting edge' lowest viscosity lubrication has been used.

I am now fortunate to have a friendship with Two Individuals producing Tonearms with the above design intent and considerations.

The other designed Tonearm using the above design considerations is a complete New Design, with all parts needing to be produced to unique forms for the assembly.

It does not utilise any off the shelf parts for the structure,  even the micro parts that are bought in, to be used in the concealed locations, are machined to a new tolerance to create a improved interface.

I do not use any of my earliest purchased Tonearms any more, I have now got access to Tonearms that I am confident are an improvement and are noticeably  better. 

It is a pleasure to know individuals who are not asleep at the wheel, and remain enthusiastic about materials and designs for a Tonearm, occasionally trying out that new idea that has been niggling them to investigate.

I thoroughly enjoy my invites to offer an assessment of the advancement of the designs as they evolve.

Again for the OP, what really matters is what is in place 'under the hood', $$$$$'s of outlay for a very attractive modern design aesthetic, might just be that only, a Ornament that has a added bonus of offering a Tangible Interaction.

The reality is that a much lesser value $$$$ selection of Tonearms can prove to be a match in the mechanics and operation and presentation.

How Old is your Tonearm? There might be an upgrade to your model available from the Manufacture.