Testing stylus wear.

I have an Ortofon 2M Blue stylus that I’ve had for 3.5 years. They advise up to 1000 hours of useful life but that’s just a rough estimate. I have not kept track of my hours of play. I’ll go for 3 weeks with lots of use and then a few more weeks of very little analog use and mostly digital use with my DAC. I just bought a lot of mint vinyl LP’s and got scared that my stylus may be worn, even though it sounds fine to me.

So, I have a new stylus and usb microscope on order. I just found an interesting article (http://www.pspatialaudio.com/stylus_wear.htm) that suggests something other than a visual inspection, since the tip is the only part of the stylus that gets worn and it’s apparently too small to judge even with a microscope.

The new method is to make two identical digital recordings--one with the older stylus and a second one with a new stylus. Then you A-B the two recordings. Since I already have a new 2M Blue coming tomorrow and another one on my turntable with unknown wear, I think I’ll give this method a try.

Has anyone heard of this? Any better ways to test if i should junk the old 2M Blue or somehow test it?

rff000

If you really want to check the cart for wear, send it over to Steve at VAS for a checkup and cleaning. He has an excellent reputation and I believe he will give you an honest appraisal. 

It's easy to see the stylus wear planes develop and grow with a decent microscope. However, having the 'scope's illumination set correctly is critical. When that requirement is met, the wear planes light up like oval headlamps.

Update:

I got my new 2M Blue stylus from Fluance, even though I don't own their TT because most other outlets had the stylus on back order. They also gave me a $10 coupon which covered most of the tax (funny that a Canadian company has to collect tax for a state in the U.S.). I was surprised to receive not only the stylus I ordered, but a new cartridge too. I called them and asked what happened and it turned out it was a mistake. They said I could keep the cartridge (which I don't need anyway).

I also got the Jiusion microscope, thinking that I'd check the old stylus. It turned out to be a huge pain to focus on the stylus and enlarge it to a reasonable size, so I returned it to Amazon, where I bought it.

It might just be impressionistic, but the new stylus seems to be a slight bit more detailed than the old one. The best thing is that now I can stop wondering whether I have to change it for a long time.

You may want to get a stylus timer to keep track of your hours. All you have to do is remember to turn it on and then off when you are finished playing records. I bought mine from Music Direct.

1 ASTMSTYTIMER