Testing stylus wear.

I have an Ortofon 2M Blue stylus that I’ve had for 3.5 years. They advise up to 1000 hours of useful life but that’s just a rough estimate. I have not kept track of my hours of play. I’ll go for 3 weeks with lots of use and then a few more weeks of very little analog use and mostly digital use with my DAC. I just bought a lot of mint vinyl LP’s and got scared that my stylus may be worn, even though it sounds fine to me.

So, I have a new stylus and usb microscope on order. I just found an interesting article (http://www.pspatialaudio.com/stylus_wear.htm) that suggests something other than a visual inspection, since the tip is the only part of the stylus that gets worn and it’s apparently too small to judge even with a microscope.

The new method is to make two identical digital recordings--one with the older stylus and a second one with a new stylus. Then you A-B the two recordings. Since I already have a new 2M Blue coming tomorrow and another one on my turntable with unknown wear, I think I’ll give this method a try.

Has anyone heard of this? Any better ways to test if i should junk the old 2M Blue or somehow test it?

rff000

What you're suggesting is a guess, not a test. That's because you're assuming that the new cartridge is undamaged and within spec.

Styli can certainly be assessed for wear using a microscope, but you need to know what you're looking for, which are "cat's eyes." Shure has an authoritative reference here.

I saw some of the Shure photos on the internet. It looks like it boils down to smooth tip surface for good styli and dented or non-smooth tip surface for worn. I’m not sure if I’ll be able to see the "cat’s eyes" but the smooth tip surface should be visible. I’m also curious about whether there is any difference in recordings made with both. In any case, if my old stylus looks good I’ll be happy to wait longer before starting to use the new one. I don’t plan to test the cartridge with a microscope. The styli are pretty easy to just pull out and push back in again.

If you really want to check the cart for wear, send it over to Steve at VAS for a checkup and cleaning. He has an excellent reputation and I believe he will give you an honest appraisal. 

It's easy to see the stylus wear planes develop and grow with a decent microscope. However, having the 'scope's illumination set correctly is critical. When that requirement is met, the wear planes light up like oval headlamps.