I need help regarding tube phono preamplifiers

To the Audiogon community. I am currently considering one of three possible all tube phono preamps to incorporate in my two channel system. The three phono stages are 1.Aesthetix Rhea phono preamp 2.Zesto Andros Deluxe II phono stage and 3. Vac Renaissance phono preamp. I will incorporate the stand alone phono preamp into my McIntosh C48 preamp and utilize a Clearaudio Performance DC turntable with a Clearaudio Universal tonearm and Kiseki Purple Heart phono cartridge. If anyone has experience to help me compare the differences between these phono stages I would greatly appreciate the input. Thanks.

andyhifiman

VAC is not a commonly met brand in the UK and neither is Modwright.

I have very recently heard a VAC integrated Amp Phi Beta 110i, with ESL Speakers, the inbuilt Phonostage was used with a AudioNote IO and the replay was quite impressive.

I would think that a Standalone Phonostage from VAC can be even more impressive, I would consider auditioning one if it was an easy to achieve experience.

A few years ago I was at a Enthusiasts Phonostage Bake Off, with Soulution Amps and Maxonic Speakers.

A Modwright 9.0 SE was introduced in the latter stages of the event when the higher price devices were being entered for their demonstrations.

The 9.0SE was given a Three Track Demonstration Period, and proved to be noticeably more attractive in its performance over Phonostages of a much lesser purchase value used prior to the 9,0SE being entered.

It was a mixed result when compared to devices that were closer to the value, and there were a variety of comments made about the preferred Phon's, already used, and the comments were not always favourable for the 9.0SE. My recollection of a description given and the content shared was in keeping with what I was aware of,  was that there was a Voluminous Room Filling Presentation, that was coupled with a very perceivable Bass Bloom with a very smeared decay, the Bass was pointed out as not being as attractive most of the previous used phon's and much better Bass Performance had been heard from earlier demonstrations.

When the 9.0SE was compared to Phonostages that followed it in the line up that had increased purchase price values, the 9.0 SE was noticeably not a competitor to these levels of replay being produced, the detractors from these follow up Phon's were not able to be defined during the short demonstration periods, and from recollection any model will have been worthy of a home audition.  

It will be hard to determine how a Phonostage will work within a system through pre-empting the performance on offer, being offered descriptions is only a small proportion of what is valuable to make a choice.

Most Source Owners that take LP replays seriously, do not share the same TT > Tonearm > Cartridge and Phonostage, each has their own unique preferences. 

If an extension of time can be allowed for to prepare for a purchase, the arrangement of Demonstrations within a System will go along way, these will help understand a trait offered by the Phon' and see it there is a attraction or detraction.  A home demonstration is very important to finalise an assessment, as this is where the living with the choice made will take place. 

Perhaps you should consider changing your Preamp from SS to Tube type.

You have a SS Preamp with both MM and fully adjustable MC phono stages within.

I presume you must not like it’s phono sound.

I had McIntosh C28 Preamp, did not like it’s phono sound, actually preferred the sound of a dinky phono built into an inexpensive AT120 TT.

I sold my McIntosh SS Amp and SS Preamp, went to Vintage McIntosh full tube preamp, with wonderful sounding tube MM phono, and added a SUT with PASS to boost MC enough to continue to use the mx110z’s tube MM Phono.

All other sources now thru tube preamp on to modern tube amp with remote volume. All sound terrific thru the tube preamp.

I would like to thank all of the forum members who responded to my posting.

I appreciate the feedback and will do some additional research. Hopefully I will be able to demo some products prior to making the final choice.

Best regards to everyone.

The OP asks for a comparison among 3 choices of phono and got almost nothing but suggestions that he consider a 4th, and there’s virtually no consistency regarding a putative 4th alternative. I’ve owned the Rhea which I converted to Signature status. The Rhea Signature version was way better than the base version. Otherwise I advise the OP to choose on the basis of features, because all 3 on his list are very good, provided that you sub in the Sig version of the Rhea. I have a slight bias in favor of the VAC Ren, but it’s not well founded.

The Hegel V10 is not tubed, but it’s warm sounding and detailed. Used with a tube line preamp (Cary SLP05) the combination has that tube “magic” yet is detailed with a focused soundstage.