Do high end manufacturers need retail outlets?

Most of the preamp’s and amps I want to look at are not readily available in my Geographic area and many of times I have bought them without hearing them first. And even hearing them is problematic in a dealer if even possible because their systems are very different than your home system.

Further most hi end components are not on display anyway.

The hi end audio business is very small and don’t know why manufacturers don’t begin selling directly to consumers. PS audio does this end it seems there components are actually cheaper versus a retail store but I don’t like PS audio.

I think hi end market is undergoing a change. They really don’t need retail stores. For lower-cost mass market products you need retail stores. If I buy a  hi end product from a retail store it will be drop shipped from the manufacture often times. And further i don’t really like giving 40% of price to a retail seller when added value is very limited.

We all know high-end components are over priced and there needs to be a way to bring these prices way down and direct sales would go very far.

jumia

What PS Audio did is NOT what I would consider consumer friendly. The trade-in gimmick is ridiculous. I'm less interested in them now than I was before. On the high end, I prefer brands that use traditional dealers, and I don't see that changing. 

And I *definitely* hate paying an online retailer full MSRP (or nearly that) for something that's simply going to be shipped to me. Might as well buy 2nd hand higher-tier gear at that point. 

Do youo really want to spend $10,000 or so (and up!) for a product you have not seen, touched, or heard? And some guy who sees as just another heavy box is going to drop it on your porch? Fragile Smagile, he's got ninety mor stops to make today. If you sell only a small number of item X, you've got to buy a demo and pay to store your inventory, maybe be faced with an inventory tax. I wanted to open a store, but the City made it so difficult, (permits, business license, insurance, fire codes, handicap access + I have to house and feed my family, pay the cable bill, etc. - all that has to come out of the profit from the sale of goods) I gave up on the idea. I am thankful for the dealers I patronize.

A big side benefit of having dealers is they carry multiple brands.  You get exposed to something you may never have considered if everything was just available direct with no dealers.  Not to mention their experience and knowledge with all the gear they sell and what synergy there is between the gear.  Unfortunately not all dealers are great, but a great dealer IME is invaluable.

If you’re buying Macintosh B&w, marantz, Sony the new dealer is a good thing.

The whole issue here is the exceptionally over priced high end audio gear that exists which is not widely available. Most people buy on faith having never heard it. The high end industry takes advantage of those ultra rich people who don’t really care and would gullibly pay the higher price. The wealthy just don’t know no better.

So blame the rich people for the high prices. Not much of it is made and there’s more than enough wealthy people to buy it all. It never is available used because really rich people don’t have the time to sell older gear that was upgraded and now no longer use it.

"And I *definitely* hate paying an online retailer full MSRP (or nearly that) for something that's simply going to be shipped to me. Might as well buy 2nd hand higher-tier gear at that point."

Absolutely!!!   I have purchased some of my best gear used, otherwise I could never have afforded it  Example:  Zesto Leto preamp.  New $7500 , used $3500