Lieder anyone?

This niche within classical music, largely leaves my cold a defect in my character I'm sure. I suppose it reached a sort of peak in 19th century Germany, becoming an important part of Schubert's output for example. 

But and it's a big but, there is Mahler and Richard Straus, two of my favourite 20th century composers anyway. They both produced achingly beautiful, melancholic song cycles and I never tire of listening to them. If you want to explore them, then anything by Janet Baker or Elizabeth Scwarzkopf are just perfect for Mahler and Leontine Price's 4 Last Songs for Strauss. You can't go wrong with them.

David

david12

I like the Te Kanawa and Victoria de Los Angeles versions too, but the utterly unique singing style and voice of Davrath makes her version my choice. Being so lazy, I don’t listen to it much because it is on lp and not on my music server (I should subscribe to a service).

One in St Paul 3 miles from my house and is open 24/375 .

Owned by a Polish guy , I would guess with 20,OOO records .

Perhaps 2 hundred are classical but they are good ones , with good turnover .

Jim204, All you have to do is go to Berlin in Army and find a German Wife and

then do your Doctorate in a German Uni, nothing to it .

Seriously , many of the words and elements are the same ,

German and English are bother and sister as is Swedish.

A young man can learn a normal conversation in 4-5 months.

About a year , 3-4 hours a day all hands on deck should { Your tongue goes

on auto in German .}

give you fully correct German . Few use correct any thing .P.S .

Almost every really dirty words are the same.

From what I have seen and done, it is very hard to learn any language after 55 or so.

rvpiano, there are about ten record stores within the Cincinnati ring. Maybe half of those carry used classical. One of them, Plaid Room, carries new remastered reissues along with used. The new vinyl is generally from Analogue Productions, Speakers Corner, Analogphonic and other large labels. A great store to visit if you’re in the area!