Pre, pro $3k

Hey, I know this topic is covered in other threads but looking for advice on a pre/pro to feed a Parasound A21 and A31, plus low grade amp for the rears to make a 7.1 system.

I currently have a Marantz SR 5007 that I’m using as preamp and to power my rear speakers.

I don’t expect to go beyond 7.1. So what would you get for ~$3k. Used McIntosh MX122, Marantz 7706, Anthem AVM 70? Something else used or new?

Maybe a new pre/pro wouldn’t make a difference, but thinking something new might have a better DAC, power supply, and support newer formats.

My current processor is ~15 years old and I’m sure I can do better.

w123ale

@Auxinput - I’ll defer to you on the sonic voicing of these units, since I’m not seriously playing in this aspect of the field where I think the point of diminishing returns is reached far more quickly than "purist" audio, which sound for film/tv is anything but. However, my main point was shortages. What’s available right now that would voice correctly with the user’s amplification? (As you may recall, I was using all ARC tube amps and big Snells at one point with two big subs, now a McI multichannel basic amp with a relatively modest 5.1 and I’m happy.) I’m not state of the art though, as I acknowledged, since I find the trade off from the bigger fancier stuff to be not worth the bother to me at this point in my life (I’m not a cheap person, just a question of priorities). I do think the cost of this stuff has come down significantly, as a general matter.

Thanks all—I’ve been leaning towards the AVM 70. Thanks for the thoughts on the voicing of the gear. I just added the A31 to the system last night. Fantastic! Greater detail, dynamics, separation, and clarity.